This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

workers spend 2.5 hrs/wk searching for docs

This is a very interesting article about how people are "distracted" at work.

Yes the usual suspects, phone calls, texting, IMing etc. but... this one really stood out;

David Lavenda, vice president of Marketing and Product Strategy for harmon.ie, said he was surprised to find that employees waste a ton of time searching for work documents on their computers. Respondents said they spend an average of 2.5 hours a week trying to find the documents they need in multiple locations—corporate and cloud. This is an average of 16 work days each year—enough to account for an employee's vacation time.

dot dot dot

Having multiple devices at one's desk contributes to the issue of being distracted—65% of respondents said they utilize up to three additional monitors, sometimes simultaneously with their main computer screen when they work.

"People are just being pushed to the limit for how long they can be interrupted," Lavenda said. "There is a feeling that we are always being inundated with information."
    It would seem to me that this information should be of use for the folks who are involved with marketing Linux, Kubuntu, to businesses, Nepomuk, Strigi, and instead of multiple monitors, hmmm compiz cube.. or Unity desktops?

The problem, of course, is to find someone who has actually been involved in business and can do "business speak" or involved in education and can do "education speak" and has been involved in preparing brochures, or making websites, or publishing books or videos or sitting across a desk from a CEO and not acting as if he or she is smarter than the CEO.

Several, or many, of the above are NOT characteristics of many of the Linux community and that is sad.

Although "Linux" always trots out the mantra of "free" except for "support" when pitching Linux business solutions, the marketing strategy does not seem to have worked very well.

Maybe a shift to "increased productivity" (which is, of course, reducing costs but the emphasis is on the "sssylllabbllle". ) with this kind of info and a demonstration of software might help a little.

of course.....if the businesses taught the people how to put MEANINGFUL tags on their info that might help also!

http://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.com...loyees-survey/

woodsmoke

Re: workers spend 2.5 hrs/wk searching for docs

3 additional monitors?? what the heck. even tho really, i think workers probably waste more time doing other things then searching for documents, i.e. chit chat, long lunches, social networking sites and playing with their cel phones.

Comment

no, really!

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by erigais
        3 additional monitors?? what the heck. even tho really, i think workers probably waste more time doing other things then searching for documents, i.e. chit chat, long lunches, social networking sites and playing with their cel phones.
        If its anything like the workstations I saw at the business school, they're probably running day trading software fullscreen in one window, live market tickers in a second window, and the third window has temperature and performance readings on the rest of the hardware so the worker can tell when its time to upgrade.

Edit: I jest, a little. All three screens were used for trading.

Comment

Originally posted by teh603 View Post
          If its anything like the workstations I saw at the business school, they're probably running day trading software fullscreen in one window, live market tickers in a second window, and the third window has temperature and performance readings on the rest of the hardware so the worker can tell when its time to upgrade.

Edit: I jest, a little. All three screens were used for trading.
          all FOUR screens, three ADDITIONAL screens!!!!!!!! i dont envy that line of work at all.

Comment

I've seen a study where having an additional monitor increased the workers' productivity. Of course, this was only in the form of going to two monitors from one.

My personal work desk has four: Two computers (one laptop docked, one desktop), two monitors each.

BTW: Due to the circumstances of my job I also have files in four locations: On each computer (they are not allowed to talk to each other), on a thumb drive (to transfer back and forth between computers), and on a company server. Even with all that I rarely spend more than a few seconds looking for a particular file. I submit the "Average Worker" isn't very organized and the number of monitors isn't germane to the amount of time they waste. I will admit in my case the files only number in the hundreds, not thousands, but I keep them all very organized.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have two 22" wide-screen monitors at work. I would like to have a third, but the laptop I use will only support two. The setup is to 'expand' the main desktop onto the second monitor. It isn't about vanity. It's all about having the 'real estate' to work on. I often need to do research among several different applications, and being able to 'see' them all at the same time 'saves time', and time is money.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Obviously, multiple 22" monitors, upon which one may luxuriously spread one's work for rapid wide-angle view, are much less efficient than alt-tab-guessing one's burdened path through a steaming pile of overlapped windows, right?

Comment

Oh yes, it's very much less efficient. And if anyone believes that, I've a bridge for sale.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

A couple of weeks ago one of the trade unions here in Sweden * (Unionen - white-collar trade union) did a poll among their members about how much time is wasted on poor IT solutions. They estimated the loss to 13 billion SEK annually(!)** ~ $ 1 966 417 571 ( $1 = 6.6 SEK).

Even if the troubles would sustain (a fact I would doubt) imagine the gain, in hard cash, by stop paying for various licences that most offices don't need but are bundled with MS solutions. And these numbers are from little Sweden - imagine the waste world wide *shiver*

article about it translated by google

*report from 2012 (8.6 billion SEK)
                    http://translate.google.se/translate...skraft&act=url

** report from 2011

http://translate.google.se/translate...15.svd&act=url

b.r

Jonas
                    Last edited by Jonas; Oct 10, 2012, 06:30 AM.
                    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
                    X