This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiber Optic Computers...

So here's my idea, A computer with all the circuitry made of fiber optics. I have no idea how it would be done, I'm not much of a hardware guy, but I'm thinking that the data transfer would be much more superior to what we have now and the computer would not heat up as much as computers do now days. The circut boards, cpu's, memory and such would be fiber optic as well, encased in a package of silica gel or something like that, this would mean that when it's dropped the unit will not break as easily. What do you guys think, is it possible?
    Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Re: Fiber Optic Computers...

A Photonic Computer is probably decades in the future, if ever. The article explains why.

In a similar note, a physicist, Dr. Loyd, extrapolated what a laptop would be like if its performance were taken to the maximum theoretical limit (not necessarily practical or even possible). . The PDF is at http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9908043v3

A layman's explanation of the paper is here.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I still think it may be possible, I've already come up with the design for a electric generator that uses no fuel, is not solar, wind, or water powered. I imagined it when I was a kid and worked out the physics and design of it off and on through the years, I was told it would never work, but I'm close to building it, it's very low cost and I have a new design that uses less and costs less too. I get a lot of my inspiration from Nikola Tesla, a role model of mine growing up
      Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Comment

Be sure to patent that. If indeed you have what you say it will be of great value in the future with the current energy issues we have.

Comment

Originally posted by thelonegunmen
          I still think it may be possible,
          I didn't say it was impossible, just that it may not arrive any time soon. However, TODAY, it was announced that
          http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0508134927.htm
          Scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, have demonstrated a new technology for graphene that could break the current speed limits in digital communications.
          The device is called a "Graphene Optical Modulator":

Graphene-based modulators could soon allow consumers to stream full-length, high-definition, 3-D movies onto a smartphone in a matter of seconds, the researchers said.
          Time will tell.

I've already come up with the design for a electric generator that uses no fuel, is not solar, wind, or water powered. I imagined it when I was a kid and worked out the physics and design of it off and on through the years, I was told it would never work, but I'm close to building it, it's very low cost and I have a new design that uses less and costs less too. I get a lot of my inspiration from Nikola Tesla, a role model of mine growing up
          There have been a LOT of electrical generators with similar claims. They usually claim to use "Zero Point" or "Vacuum" Energy to evade the 1st and 2nd Laws of Thermodynamics, but NONE have succeeded, or we would be using them right now, instead of listening to conspiracy theories as to how the "government" is suppressing their discoveries.

When you say "fuel" I assume you mean chemical fuel of some sort, and you eliminate other by-products of solar influx. My assumption would be that like Tesla, you plan to "tap" the magnetic and electrical fields of the Earth with a mechanical device. Maxwell defined electrical and magnetic interactions with his four equations. They explain ALL known electrical and magnetic phenomena and are the basis for applying the 1st and 2nd Laws of Thermodynamics in order to establish which direction Entropy flows in any given device. Only those operations which increase the Entropy of the Universe can spontaneously occur. To make Entropy flow "backwards" in any device or at any location Entropy changes in other devices and locations must be GREATER, so even then the 2nd Law is not violated.

IF you believe you have discovered a previously unknown magnetic or electrical property of matter you must should modify the Standard Model of Physics (which includes Maxwell's Equations) with the appropriate mathematical adjustments, just the way Einstein changed the rules for vector addition of velocity to account for space-time changes as velocities approach the speed of light. His "Special Theory of Relativity" was published for that purpose.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

@GreyGeek I have not discovered anything new, nor does any of what I do defy the laws of physics, you must realise, I thought of this when I was a kid, it is a very simple device, when you see it (when I get one made) you will face palm yourself and think "Why didn't I think of that?", lol. In fact this device comes close to being in perpetual motion, it spins, but does not encounter any resistance. This technology is already sort of being used. I have plans for another device that would follow the exact same basic design, except it would have a temporary power source, one electric charge is all it would need, it would recycle the same amount of power that first set it into motion, while creating more electricity. In a way, it will multiply an electric charge. I also have an idea on how to modify a tesla coil to get more use out of it.

Comment

In fact this device comes close to being in perpetual motion, it spins, but does not encounter any resistance. This technology is already sort of being used. I have plans for another device that would follow the exact same basic design, except it would have a temporary power source, one electric charge is all it would need, it would recycle the same amount of power that first set it into motion, while creating more electricity. In a way, it will multiply an electric charge.
              If you can actually pull it off, you will go down in history as the most important inventor of all time. I'm not trying in any way to put down your enthusiasm, but perpetual motion, at least in this plane of existance, is a pure myth - it can not exist within the confines of this universes laws of physics. Many have tried; all have failed.

"A consequence of the law of energy conservation is that perpetual motion machines can only work perpetually if they deliver no energy to their surroundings."
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                In fact this device comes close to being in perpetual motion, it spins, but does not encounter any resistance. This technology is already sort of being used. I have plans for another device that would follow the exact same basic design, except it would have a temporary power source, one electric charge is all it would need, it would recycle the same amount of power that first set it into motion, while creating more electricity. In a way, it will multiply an electric charge.
                If you can actually pull it off, you will go down in history as the most important inventor of all time. I'm not trying in any way to put down your enthusiasm, but perpetual motion, at least in this plane of existance, is a pure myth - it can not exist within the confines of this universes laws of physics. Many have tried; all have failed.
                Notice I say CLOSE to being in perpetual motion, CLOSE, perpetual motion I believe would never be achievable unless you have an unstoppable force, which to my knowledge, none exists, except for potential, but I don't think you can harness potential.

Comment

In fact this device comes close to being in perpetual motion, it spins, but does not encounter any resistance.
                  That alone, were it possible, is grounds for a patent and would revolutionize anything that uses an axle. Even a magnetic rod spinning inside a circular magnet generates resistance in the form of EMF eddies and currents. The Chinese are building a 1 gw maglev wind turbine that hangs its vertical blades by magnetic levitation. It's not free of friction but is exhibits less friction than it would if conventional rods and bearings were used.

This technology is already sort of being used. I have plans for another device that would follow the exact same basic design, except it would have a temporary power source, one electric charge is all it would need, it would recycle the same amount of power that first set it into motion, while creating more electricity. In a way, it will multiply an electric charge. I also have an idea on how to modify a tesla coil to get more use out of it.
                  One expression of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is:
                  No process is possible in which the sole result is the absorption of heat from a reservoir and its complete conversion into work.
                  and
                  Prior to the establishment of the Second Law, many people who were interested in inventing a perpetual motion machine had tried to circumvent the restrictions of First Law of Thermodynamics by extracting the massive internal energy of the environment as the power of the machine. Such a machine is called a "perpetual motion machine of the second kind". The second law declared the impossibility of such machines.
                  In your case you have to identify the source of your energy AND its sink.
                  Established during the 19th century, the Kelvin-Planck statement of the Second Law says, "It is impossible for any device that operates on a cycle to receive heat from a single reservoir and produce a net amount of work."
                  You are taking a certain finite amount of charge, Q, from a source. By F=ma and E=mc^2 that collection of elections has a total amount of kinetic and potential energy. Among the many prohibitions the 2nd Law demands is the idea that you can have your cake and eat it too. Like doing useful work with a gallon of gasoline, or a collection of charges, but getting to keep that gallon and use it again.

"The law that entropy always increases holds, I think, the supreme position among the laws of Nature. If someone points out to you that your pet theory of the universe is in disagreement with Maxwell's equations — then so much the worse for Maxwell's equations. If it is found to be contradicted by observation — well, these experimentalists do bungle things sometimes. But if your theory is found to be against the second law of thermodynamics I can give you no hope; there is nothing for it but to collapse in deepest humiliation." — Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington, The Nature of the Physical World (1927)

Comment

Notice I say CLOSE to being in perpetual motion, CLOSE, perpetual motion I believe would never be achievable unless you have an unstoppable force, which to my knowledge, none exists, except for potential, but I don't think you can harness potential.
                    Unless you can express it mathematically, the distinction "CLOSE" is subjective and immaterial.

At the classical level there are two forms of energy: kinetic and potential. Most mechanical devices exhibit and utilize both forms. Potential energy is harnessed behind every hydrological dam, just to name one example. A child's swing demonstrates the smooth conversion of energy between both forms, kinetic and potential. The potential of the child and the swing are at a maximum when the swing is at the top of its arc. The kinetic energy as at a maximum when the child is at the bottom of its arc. At any place along its ark the total energy (Et = Ke +Pe) is a mathematical sum. There is a third component which is usually neglected during short term examinations, resistance, which operates regardless of the direction the child is swing. So, as time progresses, wind friction and bearing friction eat away at the total energy, leaving less and less to oscillate between the kinetic and potential forms. Electrical energy (magnetic and electric fields) works exactly the same way.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/themes/whynot.htm

Comment

@GrayGeek If I told you guys any more, ya'll might figure it out, their is one tiny secret I have'nt let ya'll in on that is key to the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                        Unless you can express it mathematically, the distinction "CLOSE" is subjective and immaterial.

At the classical level there are two forms of energy: kinetic and potential. Most mechanical devices exhibit and utilize both forms. Potential energy is harnessed behind every hydrological dam, just to name one example. A child's swing demonstrates the smooth conversion of energy between both forms, kinetic and potential. The potential of the child and the swing are at a maximum when the swing is at the top of its arc. The kinetic energy as at a maximum when the child is at the bottom of its arc. At any place along its ark the total energy (Et = Ke +Pe) is a mathematical sum. There is a third component which is usually neglected during short term examinations, resistance, which operates regardless of the direction the child is swing. So, as time progresses, wind friction and bearing friction eat away at the total energy, leaving less and less to oscillate between the kinetic and potential forms. Electrical energy (magnetic and electric fields) works exactly the same way.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/themes/whynot.htm
                        Oh, I'm not talking about potential energy on a relative scale, I'm talking potential energy on a quantum scale.

Comment

Oh, I'm not talking about potential energy on a relative scale, I'm talking potential energy on a quantum scale.
                          The three laws of Thermodynamics apply equally well to Quantum mechanics. In fact, Quantum mechanics helps explain how the three laws arise: http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/500/

Comment

Working...
                          X