X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$25 Linux computer

Details here.

By the time you add the keyboard, mouse, and some extras you might have to spend $100.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: $25 Linux computer

pretty kewl though.
    woodsmoke

Comment

Hi all....

The price is right but it looks like some refinement is needed with the aesthetics.
      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Ya, it's obviously not a production model!

I could see it setting inside a keyboard housing which had ports for a USB mouse, webcam, etc., and an HDMI port that could be connected to an HD TV. Also in the keyboard housing would be the SSD or, more likely, a laptop form HD. IOW, your $100 computer in a keyboard, sans mouse, TV, webcam.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          I could see it setting inside a keyboard housing which had ports for a USB mouse, webcam, etc., and an HDMI port that could be connected to an HD TV. Also in the keyboard housing would be the SSD or, more likely, a laptop form HD. IOW, your $100 computer in a keyboard, sans mouse, TV, webcam.
          Yes, I think that would look pretty sharp. However, for "3rd world" applications, $100 per system would be way beyond what would be considered practical.

Regards...
          Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
          How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
          PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Especially since most 3rd world locations do not have reliable electrical connections or broadband internet. Even phones and dialup are not available. That's why the OLPC computer, which was supposed to sell for $100@, had an internal modem and software to set up an ad hoc network.

Comment

Wait a second, isn't this not much different than a modern cellphone modified to accept inputs from various devices?
              Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Comment

Originally posted by thelonegunmen
                Wait a second, isn't this not much different than a modern cellphone modified to accept inputs from various devices?
                I'm pretty sure the keyboard my son bought for his iPad won't work on his iPhone ... no USB port. Also, his iPhone doesn't have an HDMI port (neither does Android, and who cares about Win7 Phone?) so he won't be hooking it to an HD TV any time soon. The edges of my iPad Touch (iPhone without the 3G circuitry) is too contoured to add any side ports, but the old square model could be modified to have a few ports. However, if Apple did that it would open up the iOS to all sorts of foreign invasions and dominations.

I can't see anyone carrying around this $25 computer buried in a keyboard, like they do their Android or iPhone, because when they get where they are going the destination will have to have a freely accessible HD TV with HDMI port to allow a connection. It's like my iPad Touch. Even though I carry it with me constantly, the only time it is useful is when I am within range of a public wifi which, except for a few eating establishments and libraries, isn't often. When I am eating I always have a beautiful and intelligent companion to exchange conversations with. The libraries always have more powerful computers than my iPad.

IF and when it gets combined with the necessary ports, housing and power supply, I see it as a cheap computer that uses an HD TV for a display.

Comment

I was unaware that their was a Win7 phone, I guess they didn't advertise it very well eh?
                  Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Comment

The Win7 phone OS was released last October, rose to 5% market share and then has slowly dropped to 2.7% market share, the last I looked it up. Also, it seems that when Microsoft counts market share they include all the phones in the pipeline between the manufacturers and the retailers. So, the REAL market share could be less than 1.5%. Nokia didn't help them and they didn't help Nokia:

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...s-painful.html
                    ITS WORSE THAN WE EXPECTED

The point is, this Q1 was even worse than expected. And before we even look at smartphones, lets glance at the other two thirds of Nokia’s revenues, outside of smartphones. In the telecoms infrastructure unit, Nokia Siemens Networks, sales were down by 20% from just three months earlier.
                    And what of the second of the three legs? Nokia’s ‘dumb phone’ business, where roughly a third of Nokia’s revenue is generated? Compared to Q4, now in Q1 Nokia dumb phones unit sales are down by 12% to 84 million units. The average sales price is down by one Euro to 42. Total revenues yes, are obviously then also down, by 14% to 3.5 Billion Euro. And the ones growing in dumb phones? Samsung and major Chinese makers from ZTE to Huawei to G’Five.

If Nokia’s top management focus this Spring is in a shift of platforms from Symbian/MeeGo to Microsoft, then what they’d hope is for the other sisters in the organization to have strong years to finance this transition. In this way both NSN and the dumb phones units are failing Nokia now when their contributions are direly needed.
                    Note, the overall handset market grew, but smartphones grew much faster in the past 3 months. Nokia reported a decline in dumb phones of 12%, but it reported a bigger decline in its smartphones of 14%. The part of the industry which grew the strongest, saw the biggest actual decline in Nokia sales. I do not mean 'relative decline' as in market share loss. I mean real decline. Nokia was the best-selling smartphone in the world, and when that sector is the biggest growth area, Nokia doesn't manage a growth in it, Nokia sees not just a decline, its decline in it is even worse than the decline in Nokia dumb phones!
                    The Nokia numbers are worse for smartphones than dumb phones. ... In the three months, January-to-March 2011, ... we have witnessed an actual decline 'rate' ... of a 32% drop! In one quarter! So if this rapid suicide-dive rate were to continue at the same pace, Nokia's total smartphone customer base could be totally extinguished - yes, wiped out - by the middle of Q4 of this year! A suicide-kamikaze move, but where your own pilot flies into your own aircraft carrier to sink it! Good job Stephen Elop! Who was it who set the platforms on fire?
                    Nokia's smartphone market was 40% a year ago. It was 33% when Nokia was subverted by Elop. In Europe, their strongest sales region, it is now at slightly over 19%. A kamikaze dive indeed! The FOSS developers have abandon Nokia's Symbian platform.

Attachmate laid off Novell's PAID Mono developers and, apparently, Michael de Icaza also, Mono's fate is in the hands of Attachmate's German division, so Mono is currently without corporate support, and that lack of financial support probably includes no access to Novell's servers and hardware.

By virtue of its nearly transparent cross-platform capability, Qt4 was Mono's main dev tool competition on Linux, and .NET's main competition on Windows. By the end of this year we may witness the fire sale of Nokia, along with Qt4. With the failure of the Mono IP trap I suspect that Microsoft will attempt to squelch Qt4 by buying it, IF the FCC and the courts allow it, then use bogus patent claims to suppress the LGPL version, while it suspends development of Qt4 "until the courts settle it" (in 4 or 5 years or more). I predict that before that happens Qt4 will be forked and re-branded.

Comment

I've already contacted the dev. about this one. He said he'd email me when they were ready for release to the public.

I'm using an Enlightenment based distro ( Bodhi Linux ) and I think it's be perfect for this tiny-box...

Please Read Me

Comment

Great! I can't wait till you post the email here! 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X