Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i think canonical's making a big mistake...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think canonical's making a big mistake...

...and I'm gonna crosspost this in the Ubuntu forums

The main reason I'm into Linux is that I'm all about choices - and IM frequently less than HO Canonical's making decisions that I'd prefer to make myself.

Case in point - how difficult would it be to code some choices into ubiquity - like a choice between Unity and GNOME classic or allowing me to *not* install a netbook interface on my netbook instead of making me change it after install?

I don't want much - just the ability to opt out of some defaults if I choose. I figure offering some choices in ubiquity wouldn't take much more than adding a couple of tickboxes.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Re: i think canonical's making a big mistake...

Unfortunately they are a "Business" and as such they will start to act more and more to that culture.

Comment

...But you can still log into Gnome e.g. http://ubuntuguide.net/ubuntu-11-04-...nome-2-desktop
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
        ...But you can still log into Gnome e.g. http://ubuntuguide.net/ubuntu-11-04-...nome-2-desktop
        Agreed, and I can switch from kubuntu-netbook to kubuntu-desktop in systemsettings. My point is I'd prefer to have the choice in ubiquity or at least the ability to opt out of the default
        -- anais nin

Comment

it is a feature that it detects your monitor resolution and chooses netbook/desktop based on that. Sure it is a minor hassle to change, but this particular distro decided to keep the installer simple and easy, and seem to be sticking to that. I believe in the Alternate installer there may be a way to get the full on original Debian installer setup. I for one don't want/need to have so many options on the installer, the most daunting and difficult task many users will face. Agree or not, but they have made certain decisions in this area. The choices are there, just not exactly where you want them to be :/ THE thing that has made ubuntu what it is IS the fact that they have made the initial choices to get the most people up and running with the least amount of fuss in the installer and the default application choices.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
            it is a feature that it detects your monitor resolution and chooses netbook/desktop based on that. Sure it is a minor hassle to change, but this particular distro decided to keep the installer simple and easy, and seem to be sticking to that. I believe in the Alternate installer there may be a way to get the full on original Debian installer setup. I for one don't want/need to have so many options on the installer, the most daunting and difficult task many users will face. Agree or not, but they have made certain decisions in this area. The choices are there, just not exactly where you want them to be :/ THE thing that has made ubuntu what it is IS the fact that they have made the initial choices to get the most people up and running with the least amount of fuss in the installer and the default application choices.
            Yeah, some folks over in the Ubuntu forums seem to think questioning Canonical's decisions is A Bad Thing. I guess it's a small irritation and maybe a necessary evil
            -- anais nin

Comment

Personally, a novice user doesn't need, and probably couldn't cope, with a series of install questions. An experienced user can work around the default install to get what they want.

I'd just as soon keep the installer easy to use for the novice as an encouragement for them to use Ubuntu/Kubuntu than to try some more complicated installer, give up in frustration, and return to Windows.

I installed Kubuntu on my wife's netbook and was greeted with the Netbook version of the Kubuntu desktop. It took about 30 seconds to switch to my beloved power user version.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000

Yeah, some folks over in the Ubuntu forums seem to think questioning Canonical's decisions is A Bad Thing. I guess it's a small irritation and maybe a necessary evil
                Questioning is no way a bad thing, and does I think help flesh things out (and I often find plenty of disagreement over there myself). But look at things from the perspective of the distro itself. What it's focus is. We have plenty of choices, from LFS to distros such as Ubuntu, and a full range in between.

Comment

Whether Ubuntu, Kubuntu, *buntu, Arch, heck, any of the various Linux distros, we all are part of the Linux Community. "One-size fits all" isn't what Linux is about, nor should it be IMO. I prefer Kubuntu because I like the look, feel, and control it provides to me. But I've also used, and am using, Ubuntu as one of the three *buntus on my laptop.

I find the user division that exists within the Ubuntu (Canonical) camp: Ubuntu (Gnome) vs Kubuntu (KDE); amusing. Reminds me of the Original Star Trek, episode 70: Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Forgot about that episode but yes, point taken on that!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                      Whether Ubuntu, Kubuntu, *buntu, Arch, heck, any of the various Linux distros, we all are part of the Linux Community. "One-size fits all" isn't what Linux is about, nor should it be IMO. I prefer Kubuntu because I like the look, feel, and control it provides to me. ....
                      +1
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X