X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PAPER computer revealed!

It is sort of like an iPad or iPhone:
    [img width=400 height=394]http://www.sciencedaily.com/images/2011/05/110504111147-large.jpg[/img]

Read about it here.

"This is the future. Everything is going to look and feel like this within five years," says creator Roel Vertegaal, the director of Queen's University Human Media Lab. "This computer looks, feels and operates like a small sheet of interactive paper. You interact with it by bending it into a cell phone, flipping the corner to turn pages, or writing on it with a pen."

The smartphone prototype, called PaperPhone is best described as a flexible iPhone -- it does everything a smartphone does, like store books, play music or make phone calls. But its display consists of a 9.5 cm diagonal thin film flexible E Ink display. The flexible form of the display makes it much more portable that any current mobile computer: it will shape with your pocket.
    Being able to store and interact with documents on larger versions of these light, flexible computers means offices will no longer require paper or printers.

"The paperless office is here. Everything can be stored digitally and you can place these computers on top of each other just like a stack of paper, or throw them around the desk" says Dr. Vertegaal.

The invention heralds a new generation of computers that are super lightweight, thin-film and flexible. They use no power when nobody is interacting with them. When users are reading, they don't feel like they're holding a sheet of glass or metal.
    If this turns out to be real, and practical, it spells the end of the iPad, the iPhone or other smart cell phones. One big question is "how big is the battery that powers it (solar?) and how long will it last between recharges?"

More discussion is here.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: New PAPER computer revealed!

reminds me to this thing i was listening to eariler

http://www.commonwealthclub.org/even...physics-future
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

They've been after that a long while. Seems I remember an article about 5/6 years back about "Paper" computers. Cool. Finally here.

Comment

Ok, I've located a video demonstrating the "paper" computer.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl-qygUEE2c&feature=player_embedded#t=8s

After watching it in action I don't see it taking over any part of the smartphone market.
        1) It's not all that flexible. It has a ridged "binding" that I suspect will not bend well in a hip pocket.
        2) Its strain gauges are too few and in fixed locations, limiting the kinds of bends one has to program in order to teach the computer how to function.

I can't see it taking any part of any market. Can you think of a use for it?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Not really but Proof on Concept is what I think they were aiming for. I think. Don't hold me to that!

Comment

I notice that if one enters paper phone as a search term in google that one gets exactly the same picture.

As to whether it would "take off"... if one reads the article closely the term "stacked like sheets of paper" or summat thereat is used.

That would imply that the black "power?" thing at the left is not intended to be there in the final device.

There is also discussion of it being dirt cheap.

One very interesting aspect of going through "the receptionist area" into the work room each day is to marvel at the HUGE number of:

a) usb data drives that accumulate in the secretary's lost and found.
            b) the smaller number of expensive phones that accumulate
            c) the even smaller number of cheaper mp3 players that accumulat, not Ipods by the way..

If this were marketed cheaply enough as a phone and a doof computer for texting, picture taking and music playing...

I can see a college student haveing enough that one is left in the dorm room, one is in the car, one is in the purse or knapsack(not a hip pocket) one left on a bench in the hall...

and they don't care......they just pick up another one at a checkou counter.

The linux that would get onto that thing will be.... hmmmm

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
            X