Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopeless after install. User friendly???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopeless after install. User friendly???

I just finished reinstalling Windows on my laptop. Having read glowing reviews of Kubuntu and its user friendliness I had installed it as the only operating system and found myself completely at a dead end.

After logging in all I get is a prompt?

No Midnight Commander, no way of getting help on starting X etc. etc.

After having provided the network details and having the system download some updates I had thought that this system must be great, no need to even configure X Windows. Big surprise when I can't even find X-Windows.

I want to use Linux for running office programs, web browsing and email. I don't have any wish to learn the command line and even less that I would ever want to do at the command line.

I have previously installed RedHat 4 on to 7, Suse 6 to 10.0, and numerous Mandrake distributions and none of them was as user unfriendly as Kubuntu. At the minimum I had MC to fall back on, even if X Windows didn't work.

I thought that the reason for Kubuntu's existence was to get KDE with Ubuntu. How does KDE help when startx is not even recognised as a command?

If you want to promote this distribution as being user friendly it would be nice if you didn't just dump users at the command line and suggest they then buy some Linix books.

Any fanboys need not bother themselves with flames and RTFM as I have no desire to hear from you with your RTFM crap. If you think that Linux will take over the desktop at least give the user a desktop to work on. How can a new user get help when he can't even get on the web? Reading the manual won't help, the help for the less command is off the screen before you can read it. Real user friendly.

I'll be installing Suse as soonas I have finished with the download. It is free and user friendly. Who cares if it doesn't come out on six month schedules?

Re: Hopeless after install. User friendly

1. Something went very, very wrong with your installation.

or

2. You installed the server version

Comment

Any reason in particular that you think your experience was typical?
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by bbrigg
        After logging in all I get is a prompt?
        Indeed very unfortunate and not user-friendly. However, this does not happen as a rule on dapper installation, were you installing on a laptop? AFAIK the installer has had some trouble recognizing the adapter/monitor setup on some laptops so the graphical x-server won't start.

The problem is generally solved by reconfiguring the xorg-server (sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg), but of course an unfamiliar user would have a hard time figuring that out if he/she had no other access to the internet (the command is mentioned in the xorg.conf file, where you might look if you suspected an X problem).

Anyway, I hope SuSe will work out better on your machine

Comment

Have you tried PCLINUXOS ?

Comment

What, exactly, is your question? Kinda hard to offer advice and help when you're not asking for any.

Comment

I'm sorry that linux didn't work out for you and I applaud your attempt however.....
              Your statement about not wanting to use the command line would have told me that you should NOT be trying linux at this point in time. Linux has made great strides in the areas for the point and click crowd but still requires touching the command line. I have 4 machines in my home... 1 each for my two daughters and 1 each for my wife and I. I have attempted the full linux switch several time over the past 5 years, and always ran into some frustration that forced my back to windows land. I even ran my business on Suse for awhile but the limitations and crashes endured from Open Office (NOT LInux itself) had me running Windows and MS Office again. Just a few days ago I installed Kubuntu and WOW. I have tried several distros lately and just ran into to many problems getting my wireless card to work. I have been toying with linux long enough to prefer KDE over GNOME so I was ready to install Kubuntu. After booting the Live CD I was happy as a clam when properly discovered and configured the card.
              That was it..... lets rock. Each day I use it the more comfortable I get. Want a shortcut for multimedia setup? AUTOMATIX is your friend. Sorry for the extended rant but my enthusiam for Kubuntu and open source tools gets out of hand sometimes

Comment

Working...
              X