This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I like KDE over Gnome Desktop Environment

Just downloaded the 11.04 i386 desktop LiveCD .iso for Ubuntu. The sha256sum for the download matched. The LiveCD boots and I'm given the option to try it out or to install. Of course, I want to try it, so I click on that option. Nothing happens. The CD is read, and nothing happens. Nothing. Even the Magic Keys don't work to break cleanly out. I am forced to power down by pressing/holding the power button.

Needless to say, I've never had this problem running a Kubuntu LiveCD.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Why I like KDE over Gnome Desktop Environment

Interesting. I've heard similar stories with Ubuntu 11.04.

Comment

Got it to run in the 'try it' option. Was Googling on it, and read a thread on Ubuntu. Not exactly my issue, but close enough. So, from the booted LiveCD, I pressed Alt+F6, which didn't do anything, but then, when I clicked on Try it button, it continued to the Desktop. I'm typing this from Firefox on the running LiveCD of Ubuntu 11.04. I'm considering installing it over my Lucid Kubuntu (sda1 for root; sda5 for /home), as my Dad is using Ubuntu (10.10) and having a installed Ubuntu on my laptop will enable me to better help him with his questions.

The Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop looks rather nice - for Ubuntu.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I only use the Alternate CDs. Much faster, reliable, predictable, and transparent.

Have never had an installation fail or screw up using them, while there gave been many flails for me with the regular LiveCDs.

KDE now has a Netbook/Mobile user interface built in as a workspace, so that a user can choose either a full desktop user interface or the netbook interface easily

K Menu -> System -> System Settings -> Workspace Behavior -> Workspace -> Workspace Type: Netbook

Kind of takes the wind out of Unity sails, since KDE has the best of both worlds available with a single click.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Earlier I tried to respond, but only got a spinning wheel.

At any rate, during Natty testing cycle I installed the iso almost on a daily basis. I use the usbcreator thought. I havn't used cd's in a while now. Also, I'm running 64bit and I've heard of some problems with 32bit installs. The only real area I had was with ubiquity.
          Boot Info Script

Comment

An exploration into Ubuntu 11.04 was extremely short lived for me.

I downloaded the ISO, made a startup disk on an SD card, installed via SD card onto a Toshiba A70/P4 laptop.

Everything went very smoothly... until I restarted after the install completed. I got a warning that my hardware does not support Unity and it defaulted to a Gnome 2 interface.

My hardware doesn't support Unity... Really? I had KDE 4.6 Kubuntu 10.10 on this laptop with FULL effects and it runs great!

That was a waste of an hour. Back to Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by slush1000
              My hardware doesn't support Unity... Really? I had KDE 4.6 Kubuntu 10.10 on this laptop with FULL effects and it runs great!

That was a waste of an hour. Back to Kubuntu
              What video card do you have:

Code:
              lspci|grep VGA
              Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
              X