This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google fined $5m over Linux patent row

"The implication here is really that there is a huge number of Linux users who will be required to pay royalties if this patent holder knocks on their doors in the US. This is definitely a major impediment to the growth of Linux and makes companies, including Google, that rely on open source code particularly vulnerable to patent threats."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13168296

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Re: Google fined $5m over Linux patent row

Nice linky.

A highly pregnant part of it is:

"In the U.S."

woodsmoke

Comment

What was the "infringement"? Kind of a vague article. I believe Linux/FOSS need to step up as this is going to get very ugly and bad for free use. I swear, our USPTO is SOOOOO broken. Those guys have not a clue about what they are doing with software patents. Frivolous notion knowing programming myself.

Comment

IF it is something in the kernel that is infringing I suspect that once the details are released (and they have to be released to avoid running up damages) it won't take the kernel dev crew long to work around the patent.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
          What was the "infringement"? Kind of a vague article. I believe Linux/FOSS need to step up as this is going to get very ugly and bad for free use. I swear, our USPTO is SOOOOO broken. Those guys have not a clue about what they are doing with software patents. Frivolous notion knowing programming myself.
          Searched for Bedrock I came across this document ...
          Here's the trial black and white (I assume - as it's in Texas with Bedrock, Google, Yahoo etc). http://dockets.justia.com/docket/texas/txedce/6:2009cv00269/116887/

It don't make much sense to me but the allegations according to them (docket entry #1 on link above)

So seems patent No. 5,893,120 is the case - whatever that means "Methods and Apparatus for ..." (aint got time to dig deeper right now)

GENERAL ALLEGATIONS

Bedrock holds all right, title, and interest in and to United States Patent

No. 5,893,120, entitled “Methods and Apparatus for Information Storage and Retrieval Using a Hashing Technique with External Chaining and On-the-Fly Removal of Expired Data,”

(hereinafter “the ‘120 Patent” or the “Patent-in-Suit”). A copy of the ‘120 Patent is attached as

Exhibit A to this Complaint.
          ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
          Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
          Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
          Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
          - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
          >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Pursuant to Rule 41(a) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and the terms of a separate
            Settlement and License Agreement ...
            In the most recent stipulations for dismissal, it would appear some of the defendants are settling. Without knowing the license terms, it's hard to know how strong or weak the patent claims are, i.e. are they paying $1.00 or $1 million.

Comment

Working...
            X