X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new Commodore 64

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...-old-exterior/

The Commodore can run the Microsoft Windows operating system or a propriety Commodore OS.

*jaw drop*
    [me=Telengard]is desirous to learn more[/me]

Edit
    It comes with Ubuntu! Sweet 8)

Originally posted by http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx
    Note: Commodore OS 1.0, along with emulation functionality and classic game package, will be mailed to purchasers when available. In the meantime, units come with the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS operating system on CD ready to install.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Re: The new Commodore 64

<-- wants one.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

<------ I want one more!!!

Comment

Huh.

Well, I sure did love my C64 at the time -- I remember the excitement of buying a 5.25" floppy disk drive for it, the better to save my documents, which were written with a word processor that I poked in from a magazine article.

But I dunno about this revisitation -- that form factor does not appeal to me (probably because I know what cannot be inside of it). And then you'll still have to set up a monitor for it, and string an ethernet cable to it, so it's not even portable, per se.

Comment

I never owned a C64, deciding instead to get an Atari 800XL because it had better graphics. I still remember spending hours typing in machine code I got from magazines because interpreted languages were just too slow for games.

I did write a fairly easy Simon game for the machine and mapped the keyboard to four colored blocks on the screen - I had fun with that for hours. Wish I still had it

I also wrote a program that'd generate random math problems for elementary school kids, which required creating a custom ASCII character to represent a 'divided by' sign and did a little animated reward if you got the answer right. The teacher could configure the program to difficulty levels and number of problems generated. That was the first piece of code I got paid to write
          -- anais nin

Comment

ps - since we're traipsing down memory lane, here was my first computer:

[img width=400 height=285]http://www.organ.su.se/ola/computers_and_consoles/Mattel_Aquarius.jpg[/img]
            -- anais nin

Comment

Wait, hold on.

There was something before Pentium?

(and the commodores were always wireless, right?!)
              Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
              Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
              Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

The form factor isn't bad for what it is, essentially a throwback to 1980s design. The Apple II series also used keyboard+computer-in-one form factor, and later so did Atari and others. The VIC-20 and C64 had a much smaller footprint than any of their contemporaries.

My girlfriend's iMac is computer+storage+display-in-one with a separate keyboard and mouse. The new Commodore 64 is computer+storage+keyboard-in-one with a separate display. You can not compare either of them to modern laptops, because they serve a different purpose.

They are also making Amiga and VIC models.

I am very intrigued by the mention of this new Commodore OS. Will it be a new OS on a Linux Kernal? How will it bridge the gap between Commodore BASIC and modern operating systems?

Their website is completely hosed right now.
                http://twitter.com/CommodoreUSA
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

10. What is Commodore OS?
                  Our new Commodore operating system, will be a unique Commodore and AMIGA centric Linux distribution, that will grow over time into something far greater. Commodore OS will not be your run of the mill Linux distribution. Every consideration will be given to retaining the look and feel of the classic Workbench environment, however there are limits to what is possible at this time, and we do not seek to re-invent the wheel. Our sights are set on creating an operating system environment competitive with the likes of those offered by Microsoft and Apple. An operating system that is inviting and accessible to new and old Commodore owners featuring modern day paradigms. With the inclusion of a plethora of the best open source games and applications, we intend to champion the open source movement and show the world what open source is capable of.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    10. What is Commodore OS?
                    Our new Commodore operating system, will be a unique Commodore and AMIGA centric Linux distribution, that will grow over time into something far greater. Commodore OS will not be your run of the mill Linux distribution. Every consideration will be given to retaining the look and feel of the classic Workbench environment, however there are limits to what is possible at this time, and we do not seek to re-invent the wheel. Our sights are set on creating an operating system environment competitive with the likes of those offered by Microsoft and Apple. An operating system that is inviting and accessible to new and old Commodore owners featuring modern day paradigms. With the inclusion of a plethora of the best open source games and applications, we intend to champion the open source movement and show the world what open source is capable of.
                    Yep, read that. Basically the C64 revamp is a net-book if you read the specs but hey that is still more powerful than original. I read somewhere that it was to have wireless capabilities. Add a wireless USB interface to a TV or something in the Den/Living Room it would be a great surfing device!! The OS I'm somewhat intrigued with. Hope it is as they said. At least they will be using the Linux kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                      At least they will be using the Linux kernel.
                      This machine has the Commodore name. It will be a Kernal.
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Ahhhhhh, yes, that is correct!!

Comment

Website is back

The price seems a bit steep for the computer you're getting. I still don't think I can resist it just because I love the design.

I'm not terribly pleased with the keyboard. The navigation keys are all crammed together in the lower right corner. Other than the C= logo key, there is no sign that this is a Commodore keyboard. Commodore keyboards traditionally had multiple symbols on the keys depicting the characters available in the alternate character sets. The keys which would have been F1 - F8 on a C-64 keyboard are now labeled for things like Internet and volume
                          Welcome newbies!
                          Verify the ISO
                          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                            But I dunno about this revisitation -- that form factor does not appeal to me (probably because I know what cannot be inside of it).
                            What's that?

And then you'll still have to set up a monitor for it, and string an ethernet cable to it, so it's not even portable, per se.
                            You will have to connect a monitor, but the three mid to high end configurations include wireless and Bluetooth. Does anyone make Bluetooth monitors?
                            Welcome newbies!
                            Verify the ISO
                            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I agree about the keyboard but I do understand at bringing it up to date to some point to be consistent with current keyboards. As they said at the website- "As Humanly Possible" on trying to retain as much as they could.

Just one possibility for "wireless" monitor.
                              http://www.frys.com/product/5725282

Edit: one model of the 64 does have wireless.

I've read many articles about this. Many are disappointed because it isn't the "real" thing. I for one do not hold that same feeling. I like that name is apparently back as it does represent my start in computing. I've always thought then that Commodore would go on in name but progress technologically. If they can produce the Commodore OS with the emulation portion (which would have to be some variant of VICE) I don't see the logic of putting this down as they are trying to bring the name back with the nostalgia while also offering a system that is productive and usable. Their designs are actually very creative. Think about it. The Commodore was kind of like a laptop then. Yes you had the peripherals just due to miniaturization of components still was not feasible, but I always thought that Commodore if done right could have been the first laptop computer. At least that was my take then. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X