X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The new Commodore 64

Originally posted by MoonRise
    Edit: one model of the 64 does have wireless.
    I see three configurations of the C64x which include WiFi(802.11 b/g/n) and Bluetooth.

I've read many articles about this. Many are disappointed because it isn't the "real" thing.
    I think if you press them on their expectations it will become apparent that they really want a C64 designed with the latest technology. Can you imagine the reaction if Commodore USA was selling a computer with 1 MHz, 64 kB RAM system for $600.00? If you want the real C64 you can get one on eBay.

I don't see the logic of putting this down as they are trying to bring the name back with the nostalgia while also offering a system that is productive and usable.
    Yep, that' s the idea. I think they are trying to use the Commodore OS to differentiate themselves from the idea of just another PC maker. I'm greatly enamored with the whole idea of feeling that box under my hands again.

The Commodore was kind of like a laptop then.
    Not really. I can't define anything that doesn't include a screen as a laptop. The closest Commodore ever came to a laptop was the SX-64. If you want a computer from that era one could actually hold on one's lap then you need to remember things like these.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

True on the last part but I look at it from the Keyboard integration point. Most systems since then have always had the keyboard separate until laptops emerged. That is what Commodore could have gone with to have gone forward then. Can you imagine if they had the foresight and knowledge to have combined all of that with an attached screen? That is the point of the laptop analogy. No, as I said, the peripherals and the bulk of those then prohibited that (and of course the screen) but really, they had it right from the start in trying to integrate most everything in one. I can't explain how disappointed I was with my first x86 system to know that I had to buy a sound card to even get sound! The Commodore had that already for the price. Anyhoo, I wish them luck on this. If I had the money I'd definitely buy!

Can you imagine the reaction if Commodore USA was selling a computer with 1 MHz, 64 kB RAM system for $600.00?
      It would be interesting, wouldn't it! Like I said, I failed to understand why people were putting this endeavor down just because it wasn't the "real" thing. I agree. This day and age I would want a modern machine. I really would like to see the Commodore OS and how they plan to make it like a progression from then. I wonder if they'd offer it for download or for a small fee.

Edit: Actually the c128 was close to that form factor. Just imagine if they could have added a screen like today's laptops!
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Commodore_128_002.jpg

Comment

If your argument is that the C64 having the keyboard integrated into the computer makes it almost a laptop then I can't help but disagree. This was actually a very popular design among all the well known home computer models of the era including but not limited to:

As far as all-in-one designs go, the Commodore PET/CBM line predates Apple's iMac by a couple of decades. The original PET didn't just integrate the keyboard and display, but also its cassette tape drive. The only external peripheral most PET owners ever needed was a line printer.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Hmmmmmm... Forgot about those. Though that latter would have been a bugger to keep in your lap! I remember someone having the TRS-80.. It has that same feel (not really the word I'm looking for but) as the c128 towards my "observation". So why the move away from integration. Bulk I would say until miniaturization took hold. OK, I admit my bias towards Commodore! I guess you and I are the only ones here at the moment that would even discuss such an issue and about Commodore.

Edit: take a look at the prototype pictures. You get to see the board and layout inside. Amazing!
          http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64Prototype.aspx

Comment

For all practical purposes it is a mini-tower laying on one side, with a keyboard stuck on the other side.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It is a good layout and a good design, given the package constraint. But that constraint makes it impossible to provide the airflow and heatsink surface area that would be needed to run a serious computer using current CPU and GPU technology. So, it's kind of a big netbook without the LCD and wireless. :P

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                So, it's kind of a big netbook without the LCD and wireless. :P
                Three* of the five configurations offered include WiFi(802.11 b/g/n) and Bluetooth.

I'm not sure about the airflow. it does include a pretty decent looking fan on the chassis.

How powerful would a mini-ITX system with Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz Dual Core CPU and NVIDIA ION2 Graphics (DDR3 512MB) be?

*edit: two -> three (see here and here)
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                  Originally posted by dibl
                  So, it's kind of a big netbook without the LCD and wireless. :P
                  Two of the five configurations offered include WiFi(802.11 b/g/n) and Bluetooth.

I'm not sure about the airflow. it does include a pretty decent looking fan on the chassis.

How powerful would a mini-ITX system with Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz Dual Core CPU and NVIDIA ION2 Graphics (DDR3 512MB) be?
                  Not very and if you look at the Prototype pictures it appears to have quite a bit of room for airflow.

Comment

Ooops -- I stand corrected on the wireless availability, on the top three models.

My Toshiba NB205 netbook has the Intel Atom N280 CPU. It is a single-core/dual thread processor running at 1.66GHż. The processing speed is respectable, if not spectacular, so I would think the dual-core Atom D525 at 1.8GHz would be acceptable for general/casual purposes. The Nvidia ION2 that comes on the new C64 started out unsupportable with Linux, but more recent Nvidia drivers seem to work acceptable with it, and apparently it works OK with the nouveau driver, as far as Google and Ubuntu forums can tell me.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=194154

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=188187

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=182669

Comment

Here is what bothers me of this design (and also in laptops): when the keyboard goes out you are left with a heavy paperweight, right? Unless they make it easy to replace the keyboard, and they sell a reasonably priced replacement part ...

Otherwise, this is lovely. Hope they can make a dent in market share! If they can make it communicate easily with HDTV's, it would be a perfect TV computer! Sit on the couch, fire up neflix/amazon/hulu/whatever pleases you and watch it on the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                        Unless they make it easy to replace the keyboard, and they sell a reasonably priced replacement part ...
                        Good point. I wonder about that. Keep in mind though that the Cherry keyswitch mechanism is much more reliable than the stuff they put in most keyboards.

If they can make it communicate easily with HDTV's, it would be a perfect TV computer!
                        Done!

Originally posted by http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx
                        The new Commodore 64 can be connected to the latest televisions and monitors, and can deliver 1080p HD quality video playback and 6 Channel High Definition Audio for an excellent home theater experience. It also incorporates wireless n wifi for exceptional internet video streaming quality.
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                          If they can make it communicate easily with HDTV's, it would be a perfect TV computer!
                          Done!

Originally posted by http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx
                          The new Commodore 64 can be connected to the latest televisions and monitors, and can deliver 1080p HD quality video playback and 6 Channel High Definition Audio for an excellent home theater experience. It also incorporates wireless n wifi for exceptional internet video streaming quality.
                          Ah, but I wasn't clear, sorry. I mean wireless connection to the TV. The idea would be to be sitting on the sofa without any cables to the TV. That would be a killer feature! Thanks for the info!

Comment

I mean wireless connection to the TV.
                            Do you know of any wireless or bluetooth TVs? If so then we're set because C64x includes both.
                            Welcome newbies!
                            Verify the ISO
                            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Here is what bothers me of this design (and also in laptops): when the keyboard goes out you are left with a heavy paperweight, right? Unless they make it easy to replace the keyboard, and they sell a reasonably priced replacement part ...

Otherwise, this is lovely. Hope they can make a dent in market share! If they can make it communicate easily with HDTV's, it would be a perfect TV computer! Sit on the couch, fire up neflix/amazon/hulu/whatever pleases you and watch it on the TV.
                              (Darn, I hit modify instead of quote on the above post )

It depends on the box, but I can get a keyboard for my Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E for less than $30 or I can pay $99 for Sony's actual keyboard. The big problem is finding a service manual which tells you which screws and/or components to remove, and in what order, to replace the defective component.

When I got my wife's Acer Aspire One A0D521 netbook it had a trap door on the back through which I could easily upgrade the 1GB RAM to 2GB. A friend bought the D255 version of that netbook and to get to the RAM slots one had to take off the keyboard, remove seven screws that loosened the one piece back bezel, then remove four screws from a component to uncover the RAM slot. The problem was that without the special, extremely thin stainless steel keyboard removal tool the odds of removing the keyboard without damaging it were very low. The D255 was designed to prevent the owner from upgrading the RAM themselves.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Depending on what you want the tech is there to connect wireless to a monitor or HDTV. My link above is one and then you have these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882339191
                                http://en.akihabaranews.com/52101/ho...ur-video-gears

Edit: I think that shows that it can be done. As far as the keyboard issue I've never had problems replacing a laptop keyboard or any component in a laptop. Fairly straight forward, at least for me anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X