This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft buying up old (IPv4) net addresses

Microsoft just spent $7.5m (£4.7m) on 666,624 IP version 4 (IPv4) net addresses.
    It is not clear why Microsoft wants to buy Nortel's supply, however many companies are keen to avoid the cost of changing their networking systems over to IPv6 compatible equipment.
    Beg your pardon? What cost? Is there something I don't get here? Is new hardware required for IPv6?

Source:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12859585
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: Microsoft buying up old (IPv4) net addresses

Originally posted by toad
    Is there something I don't get here? Is new hardware required for IPv6?
    As I understand it, most/all older routers don't support IPv6, so yes, if one has such, a newer router would be required to connect to the new IPv6 addresses. That is, unless your ISP opts to incorporate IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      That is, unless your ISP opts to incorporate IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling.
      As I understand it, that's minimum of FOUR IPv4 packets, or more, for each IPv6 packet because the data in an IPv6 packet can be almost any size. I can't see how this tunneling won't slow down the IPv4 network by at least 4X.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Mebbe Bill is going to buy AT&T.

That would be a company using older stuff and acronymized

BATnotouTahell.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
        X