X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The popularity of Mint

Yeah, I think the Unity move is good.

I think we all have it wrong. Plasma 4 is great, but it is intertwined with not so proven technologies like akonadi and nepomuk. We really need some simple, stable platform people can develop "apps" for.

Android got it all right: a simple API, a linux kernel and some open technologies allowed them to blast past iOS in no time. They may make a big splash with Chrome OS.

We need to embrace all that, can we have a plasma desktop where Android apps can run seamlessly, along with plasma apps (widgets)? Can we have chromium as the default browser so we can offer a superset of Chrome OS?

There is a GOLDEN opportunity there for the free desktop. Canonical decided to create a simple, ala Android desktop. KDE could be the perfect platform for that, it it wasn't for the complexity of the desktop I alluded above.

Anyways, it's all good. I just think the old "phat PC" desktop is disappearing both in households (where the cloud is more and more important), and in corporations (where the thin clients + servers, i.e. intranet "cloud", is also the go to platform). The Linux desktop could be a big player there if we make the right moves

Cheers!
    Leo

Comment

Ubuntu's remix is going to Unity, but Gnome2 will still be loadable.

However, Gnome3 is about to be released and already there is a post complaining about it, typically similar to those aimed at KDE4, including the threats to "leave Linux and return to the stability of Windows".

However, what that article showed me had the exact opposite affect to what the author had hoped for. Gnome3 looks pretty neat and show plenty of improvements in usability.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Can't disagree more strongly.

While a lot of remote hosting serving companies are pushing cloud computing, that comes with a gigantic security-risk price tag if that includes computers on remote servers not under their control.

While a lot of people want a home server and remote access (or a business server with remote access, but companies have had that for a long time, in general) that doesn't equate to a willingness to store their private data on remote servers.

People want a co-ordinated home server/mobile access combination, and Google is one of the biggest suppliers of that at the moment, but is hardly the way of the future. it is just a stopgap until people figure out how to accomplish their own private "cloud" environments.

Developers and hosters push what they want to push, but it isn't always what the customer wants. "Cloud computing" is one of those things.

Also, what is the probelm with Akonadi (the PIM organizer) and Nepomuk (the smeantic analyzer of stored documents)? In their logical incarnations they would be cataloguing stored documents from many locations in a "cloud" (i.e. distributed) environment, which is the next logical step.

File synchronization depends on file localization, and the proliferation of database storage systems requires good semantic searches.

Nah, sometimes people shoot off their mouths with "trendy" slogans that really don't make any sense once one stops to think a little.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          Ubuntu's remix is going to Unity, but Gnome2 will still be loadable.

However, Gnome3 is about to be released and already there is a post complaining about it, typically similar to those aimed at KDE4, including the threats to "leave Linux and return to the stability of Windows".

However, what that article showed me had the exact opposite affect to what the author had hoped for. Gnome3 looks pretty neat and show plenty of improvements in usability.
          I have a number of distros including Linux Mint 10, Zorin OS 5, Mepis 11 and Ubuntu 11.10 with both Unity and Gnome 3. I love Zorin as it's just so simple to install and everything works without any messing around. I prefer Gnome 3 to Unity but although it is stable enough it is not very exciting visually, Unity is still a mess though. The icons are just too big and I don't like them down the LHS, you should be able to move them. Linux Mint 10 is truly wonderful but now they've decided to go with Debian I'm not sure how that's going to work out. Mepis 11 is rock solid but it's conservatism is very annoying, they are still stuck on Firefox 4 and KDE 4.5.2

Comment

Working...
          X