This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AptSid vs LMDE

Other than Gnome Vs KDE, what are the differences. If you install "kde-full" on LMDE & used aptitude to uninstall gnome on LMDE, would they be the same
    Registered Linux User 545823

Re: AptSid vs LMDE

Ummm I think that Aptosid is a situation of "attitude". Not necessarily the software per se, but the approach to doing it and the philosophy behind it.

woodsmoke

Comment

Aptosid is based on experimental (I think) and LMDE on testing, i.e. Aptosid has newer packages. But best to quickly check yourself
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I installed LMDE (with XFCE, not GNOME) and installed kde-full. I like it more than AptoSid, but stll don't car for the way Debian implement KDE;.
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin
          I installed LMDE (with XFCE, not GNOME) and installed kde-full. I like it more than AptoSid, but stll don't car for the way Debian implement KDE;.
          aptosid is Debian. It is the unstable branch, not the released branch -- that's the only difference. Plus the aptosid team has cooked up a few utilities, such as ceni and kernel-remover, to make it usable for non-developers. But they follow strictly the DFSG policy, so you have to take care of non-free stuff more or less on your own (with hints as available). They have said they are well along on a LMDE flavor -- it may well be included in the next released "version". aptosid is a rolling release, so there aren't really versions, per se, there are just snapshots of the complete OS at points in time.

KDE on aptosid is pure KDE, from kde.org -- there are no customizations or adaptations, beyond those made by KDE to support Debian.

Comment

Working...
          X