X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Kfacebook (new) not needed How to connect Kopete to Facebook

EDIT: EDIT:

The application in question of the post, Kfacebook, has been found to not be needed, however, it may in the future be of more functionality, it is, as of this writing, a new application.

The resolution of the situation can be found in post number (20) below.

woodsmoke

END EDIT.

This is very interesting.

I do NOT ...do..... Facebook except to do school stuff...the students are really into it and it does one thing very well

I can post something in one place that any student with a phone or mouse on a computer can get to easily and on a phone it gets to the student with NO WORK on their part....they just set it to look for changes on my Facebook page...

but.....it is just not my "cup of tea" as it were...but...for those who do...Facebook...

This is VERY interesting and a very interesting thing for KDE(Kontact) to be fiddling with.

Here is the original article which I came across:

https://thomasmcguire.wordpress.com/...ort-in-kdepim/

Here is the actual workspace, which is in no way complete

https://projects.kde.org/projects/pl...onadi-facebook

woodsmoke

Re: KDE PIM is getting ready for "integration" somehow with Facebook

I kinda like the idea. A PIM these days needs to include options like facebook or Linkedin, I think even twitter client could somehow be integrated into Kontact like Knode and other things are. An expanded view of tweets/topics/ etc might be useful for some.

Comment

Yeppers, and again, it is not that I'm into Facebook and stuff but I do have/want to use it, it does enhance my interaction with the students, ....

But, the whole.... don't know....merging of things is just rather remarkable.

I can remember the big hooplah about Amarok, "wanting to do everything and be everything"...well that was kind of forseeable, after all the stuff that Amarok does is a kind of constellation of things around the basic idea of "music".

And, the "PIM" is kind of a meeting of many roads for dealing with information.

Microsoft stuff tends to be kind of sterile...

This could give an edge to KDE stuff that MS products don't have....until they steal ie!!

woodsmoke

Comment

I'm happy about this BUT only just as long as those of us who want NOTHING to do with Facebook, Twitter etc. can remain completely detached! I do not want any "back door" opening into my system. Please make it an "opt in" rather than "opt out" addition.

Comment

if it is like any Kontact module, you will be able to exclude or include it from the UI as you wish. Or run it stand-alone as all the parts of KDEPIM are really separate applications that can be integrated by using Kontact. Of course if you don't add any account info, then you don't access them anyway

While I don't like facebook too much myself, it is a useful thing sometimes. Just yesterday I was trying to contact an employee who was home on Spring Break to see what his work availability would be when he got back. I could not get hold of him by any phone number, IM, or email address I had, but I poked him in facebook and he got hold of me in less than 2 minutes.

Comment

PHilT, yes, your concerns are well founded, but as Claydoh said, if you don't provide account information then you have zero to deal with.

Claydoh, yes, that is rather what happens a lot of times. The students have the phones tethered....ooooohhh baaaddd pun! to them and if they do facebook they get an instantaneous notification.

When we had a "middle of the day" shut down because of snow the students got my facebook poke before they got the college's notice.

I don't know, but Kubuntu really does seem to kind of be at a "junction" of various interfaces, apps, etc.

The whole thing about the next, a couple of months down the road, cell phone having a HARD DRIVE in it... and then the "laptop" that is only a keyboard and screen that one docks the phone into.... is going to change things even more than anyone thinks I think....think, thank, thunk! too many thunks!

But I was just blown away by learning that yesterday. OfficeMax, in the U.S. is going to have two versions of the "laptop that's really a smart phone dock" in a couple of months that will sell for about 90 bucks and 140 bucks.

There was an article about AT&T e-mailing users to stop using the "rooted" phones with tethers without paying the monthly fee for higher data transfer speeds.

I think that all of the phone service providers are jockying for position on this.

THEN...is when "rooting" is really going to maybe go somewhere. If there is a hard drive on a phone one can install KDE apps on it.

Which is what KDE on Win is trying to do. They aren't doing the office, but when one does it correctly, KDE apps do run on Windows Vista, which I've done...

so.... a whole lotta mergin' goin' on!! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

My main box at home is a Win7 machine, which I use for gaming. I got tired of dual booting, and was pleased to get KDE for Windows to work correctly. Now I'm able to use my favorite linux Aps (Amarok, Konservation, digikam & reKonq) without having to boot out of Windows.

Comment

HI scotty, would you care to expand on your expriecnces with KDE for win a little?

woodsmoke

Comment

A kfacebook has appeared at KDElook but it is a tar

A Kfacebook appeared at Kdelook two days ago. I don't recognize the name as being one of the devs in the few articles...but here is the linky.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=140060

its a tar and i never have learned how to do all that "make" stuff!! DARN!!!

woodjustahardwareguysmoke

Comment

Re: A kfacebook has appeared at KDElook but it is a tar

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                    its a tar and i never have learned how to do all that "make" stuff!! DARN!!!
                    Usually you can just untar the archive, run configure, then make, then make intstall. Of course on Kubuntu one needs sudo to do the install step.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I dunnno
                      I tried that, but nothing happens, it seems as if there is nothing "in" the package except for some icons and some commands.

thanks though

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/kFacebook?content=140060
                        Theme based on the facebook chat.
                        It appears to be a theme or skin. You'll have to unpack the archive into the appropriate directory related to the application in which it is intended to be used. I can't really help with that
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

WOAH!!! THANKS TELENGARD....I've tried every which way to do something with that...thanks!!!

i'll report back in a while.

woodsmoke

Comment

Kfacebook is a chat window skin for Kopete

Telengard.

It is a "skin" or "theme" for Kopete.

I got it to install with no problems. I went to "chat window" and "install" and went to the tar. clicked the tar. and it installed with no problem.

However, it gave no "functionality" to get to Facebook or somehow interact with it.

So... don't know.

If anyone else has any ideas, please post them.

woodsmoke

Comment

Re: Solved: Kfacebook is chat window for Kopete, presently can't get to do anything.

You want a plugin which enables Kopete to connect with Facebook Chat, is that right? I don't have any use for such a thing, but here's what some quick searching turned up:

HTH
                              Welcome newbies!
                              Verify the ISO
                              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                              X