This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ubuntu Computers for Sale!

Did it have a RAM trap door on the back or did you have to remove the keyboard to upgrade the RAM to 2GB?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I just received my new laptop from System76, and thought I would put this small plug in for them. It came pre-installed with 64 bit Ubuntu. Kubuntu was an easy "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" away. Nice laptop, excellent out of the box experience. For the specs I wanted, mainly 1920x1080 resolution, the price was cheaper or on par with the big boys Lenovo, Dell, HP, et al. Having setup dozens of Windows boxes in my former job, what a breath of fresh air to not spend hours removing crapware, adware, etc. It also felt good to support a small company instead of contributing to the golden parachutes and other shenanigans of megacorps.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunlulvr View Post
        It will be interesting to see if System76 stays in business or gets any notice.
        Hi all....

They, at least, have a little, they have a specific sub-forum, System76 Support, over at Ubuntu's forum.

Regards....
        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard View Post
          You can get Ubuntu stickers to cover the keycaps on your keyboard.

http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=16
          I just gotta say... if you're a power user with your keyboard, stickers won't last long at all. Given that I typically wear off the labels on my keyboards pretty quickly, just from frequent use, I *know* stickers would be coming off within months of being applied. All that said, I've been lusting after a Das Keyboard Ultimate for years. Matte black finish, no labels. *drool* I was also considering getting the Tux keycap kit if I ever have that much money to spare... just cause Tux is cute. <3

On the topic of System76 and ZaReason, I've had both companies bookmarked for years, and from time to time I spec out comparable computers on both sites. ZaReason's actually local to me, and one of the two owners is a woman, which leaves them in the running for consideration for me, even if they tend to spec out a little more expensively. I am in serious need of a new desktop computer... the one I have is finally starting to hit the end of usable life, but given that the hardware's like 7-8 years old, at least, I'd say that's a pretty good life.

If I do end up buying from one of them, it'll be the first time I've bought a pre-built desktop computer. All the computers that I've ever owned have been home built, but originally that was because it was cheaper. Then when I made the switch to Linux full time, it was so that I could be sure I wouldn't have compatibility issues. These days, my time's lean, the cost differences are as great and there are companies that can build for and install linux on the machine for me... I'm inclined to pay them for that service if I can budget for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathKitten View Post
            ... I've been lusting after a Das Keyboard Ultimate for years. Matte black finish, no labels.
            OOh, shopping time.

Shame they don't have any details on international shipping.
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
              OOh, shopping time.

Shame they don't have any details on international shipping.
              If you're in Europe, probably the best site to get one from is http://www.getdigital.de for €129 + shipping. You also get to choose from US, German or UK layouts. An extra €17.95 gets you 2 Tux keys to replace the Win keys.
              sigpic
              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Oh look, I don't have my location in my profile. Thought I did. Shipping anything to South Africa is hassle enough ...

Comment

Oh look, I don't have my location in my profile. Thought I did. Shipping anything to South Africa is hassle enough ...
                  Now there's a place I'd like to visit if I ever have wads of cash to spend on travelling. My ex-wife grew up in Durban and Jo'burg, and introduced me to some Southern African foods, such as sadza, boerewors, biltong and bunny chow, and took me to a few braais organised by South African ex-pats living in the UK.
                  sigpic
                  "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                  -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
                    a few braais organised by South African ex-pats living in the UK.
                    Presumably only in the height of summer?

Comment

Presumably only in the height of summer?
                      Of course! But even then, there were several where 'rain stopped play' - but that's hardly unusual for what we laughingly call a summer here in England.
                      sigpic
                      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

In the interests of full disclosure, I live in SA but am British ... only moved here when I was 30.

Comment

So, who is selling (K)Ubuntu on a tablet or similar touchscreen device?

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                          X