This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu Computers for Sale!

I don't know if anyone else has posted this but I stumbled onto this company...

http://www.system76.com/

Finally, linux based computers at affordable prices.

Emperor Linux has been around for quite a while but their prices are ridiculous.

Please Read Me

Re: Ubuntu Computers for Sale!

Bravo!
    woodsmoke

Comment

They've been around for a while, 76 that is. I've never noticed if they had a Linux system but was always impressed with their offerings. If you get one, let us know how their systems are.

Comment

But, you can only get Ubuntu preinstalled

Kubuntu preinstalled
        http://zareason.com/shop/home.php

I WANT THIS KEYBOARD
        http://zareason.com/shop/Tux-Keyboard.html?page=1
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin
          But, you can only get Ubuntu preinstalled

Kubuntu preinstalled
          http://zareason.com/shop/home.php

I WANT THIS KEYBOARD
          http://zareason.com/shop/Tux-Keyboard.html?page=1
          ZaReaon's a little spendy, though. I spec'd out a duplicate of the machine I built last summer -
          • Core i7-920
          • 6GB RAM
          • 40GB SSD boot drive
          • 1TB mechanical data drive
          • nVidia 210 graphics (I used a GF 8500GTS)
          • DVD-RW drive
          • 550w power supply

I built the thing for ~$900, ZaReason wants $1258 for the same machine. I used a 64GB Corsair Extreme SSD, a 7200 rpm Samsung data drive with 32mb cache and installed a Lightscribe optical drive.

An i5-2500K or a six-core AMD would kick maximum backside for about $100 less than the i7 and work just as well for most users.

Although I do applaud ZaReason for making Linux available to the masses they're also making a hefty profit from it.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

I always build my own desktops. It use to be way cheaper, but now it's mostly because I want to spend my money on the parts that are important to me and to be able to select the best brands (and linux compatible) for each component.

It will be interesting to see if System76 stays in business or gets any notice.

For me, it's less important which distro is pre-installed. The fact the linux is the machine's base OS means the hardware all works with linux. You can wipe and reinstall (or dual boot) any linux compatible machine in a matter of minutes.

Please Read Me

Comment

It is a shame they don't offer a laptop that is portable with decent speed.
              Im looking to buy a new laptop and install kubuntu on it. At the moment Im planning on a Lenovo t420.

Comment

I agree. I've been looking for a light-weight ultra-portable for less than $450. There aren't many choices out there.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin
                  You can get Ubuntu stickers to cover the keycaps on your keyboard.

http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=16
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                    I've been looking for a light-weight ultra-portable for less than $450. There aren't many choices out there.
                    I remain totally pleased with the Toshiba NB205 that I bought in 2009 -- I think I spent about $375 for it. Last year I put a 40GB OCZ Vertex2 SSD in it -- I should have done that in the first place. The main feature that sets it apart from typical netbooks is the "island" style keyboard, which I vastly prefer. The touchpad is a little "touchy" -- pun intended, but other than that it's a marvelous little machine. It's been to Europe and back and all over the USA, and bounced off the floor more than once. If it died tomorrow, which I don't expect, I'd be looking for whatever current Toshiba comparable netbook model is being offered.

2 cents' worth.

EDIT: here you go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834214197

Comment

I agree. I've been looking for a light-weight ultra-portable for less than $450. There aren't many choices out there.
                      I got my wife an Acer Aspire One 0A521, which is a 10.1" netbook with a 250GB HD and a fast Atom 1.6 GHz CPU. I upgraded the RAM to 2GB for $28, and I bought a $40 USB optical DVD/CD RW drive which works on my Notebook as well. That ACER is great! It has a trap door on the back that allows easy access to the RAM compartment by removing just 4 screws. Recently a friend purchased the 0D255 model and it did NOT have a trap door on the back. One had to pop off the keyboard, remove 7 screws to loosen the back panel and remove it just to get to the RAM slot. Before I'd buy another ACER ONE I'd make sure it had a RAM trap door in the back.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                        I got my wife an Acer Aspire One 0A521, which is a 10.1" netbook with a 250GB HD and a fast Atom 1.6 GHz CPU. I upgraded the RAM to 2GB for $28, and I bought a $40 USB optical DVD/CD RW drive which works on my Notebook as well. That ACER is great! It has a trap door on the back that allows easy access to the RAM compartment by removing just 4 screws. Recently a friend purchased the 0D255 model and it did NOT have a trap door on the back. One had to pop off the keyboard, remove 7 screws to loosen the back panel and remove it just to get to the RAM slot. Before I'd buy another ACER ONE I'd make sure it had a RAM trap door in the back.
                        Best mod I made to my own netbook was putting a fast hard drive in it. If I had it to do over again it'd be a small, fast SSD but I put a 500gb 7200 rpm drive in the thing and it made all the difference in the world.
                        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Amazing, aren't they?

We plugged my wife's Acer into our HDTV with an HDMI cable and streamed a HULU movie to it. The movie played faultlessly, without a single pause and in stunning HD.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have an HP Mini 110 that was a freebie. It's a little slow - Atom N2?? 32 bit - so I'm thinking about a 32gb SSD that I have and upgrading RAM from 1gb to 2gb. That should help!

Currently I'm running Ubuntu Natty with the new interface. It's taking some getting used to.

I might look at Bodhi (?) E17 or maybe a good XFCE distro to see if it's more responsive.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                              i have the emachine Em250 its a Aod255 aspire one unbranded . and i have been more then happy with the machine, it cost me $240 (new) + ~$30 for 2gb ram stick, $5 for the aspire's internal BT module, $20 for the a not broadcom wifi card.(atheros card instead open drivers) and ~40 for a 12 cell battery. my netbook gets ~ 4-5 hours of avg use before i have to charge it. i currently have a full blown copy of kubuntu 11.04 with kde 4.6.1 , the desktop version. i wouldn't waste my money on a cd drive for it i just use the sd card to install.the only thing i have not gotten is my refund for the 7 starter that came on the machine more on that

just a general post w/ its specs
                              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3109773.0
                              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                              X