This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Die-hard KDE/Kubuntu user

First, a little background--because one of my biggest pet peeves is the assumption people tend to make that if you're a KDE user, you must like and/or use windoze. Not me!

I started programming and administering commercial UNIX systems in the mid-1980s, when there was nothing but a command line. (I don't count early, crude versions of X window because they were strictly for novelty--way too resource intensive with too little pay off.) Anyway, I ran, configured, programmed, and tweaked the OS from its guts, and loved every second of it.

Over the years I tried using DOS and then windows, but could never get past the feeling of having gone from the space age to the stone age! Talk about culture shock. What? I can't run more than one program at a time? I can't send something into the background? I can't switch to another console? I can't escape to a shell from my editor to run the latest edits I just made on this program? HUH?!

Before Linux hit the scene I had settled on Coherent, a UNIX clone, at home. Then I started trying different Linux distributions; some I liked better than others, but the bottom line was that all of my computers at home ran Linux. In 2004 when I heard about Ubuntu, I figured it was time to try something new so I gave it a whirl. And am I glad I did! I'm a die-hard KDE user so naturally I use Kubuntu, and I just love it. I haven't bothered trying out any other distros for a long time now. I just don't see the point. Kubuntu works for me, and works great, and I don't feel there's anything lacking that I might find in some other distro, so why bother?

I've also converted a good number of people to Kubuntu--people who knew nothing but the Micro$oft model of paying out the ass for software, dealing with viruses/malware/adware/bloatware/spyware, constantly rebooting even for something like installing an application, the continual BSODs, etc.--and they're SO GLAD they switched.

My mother is 80+ but made the switch from 20 years of using M$ to Kubuntu with no issues. I literally gave her no instruction or tutoring. I wiped her drive, installed Kubuntu, and said "there you go!" I had already installed a lot of apps I figured she'd like and use, and from there it's been pretty effortless. I do occasionally go into her room and see that she's managed to UNINTENTIONALLY add widgets, delete widgets, move things around...but as far as USING the computer, she's good to go.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: Die-hard KDE/Kubuntu user

Linux user since 1991.
    Gee! 1991!
    In 1991, a young man named Linus Torvalds started working on an operating system that would be like UNIX, but would have people all over the world contributing to its development--and it would be free. And so Linux was born.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
      Linux user since 1991.
      Gee! 1991!
      Yep. I still have the diskette (as in ONE) containing the 1991 release. It's still in a box...somewhere...in my garage [since I moved back home to California in 2006]...and none of my computers has a floppy drive, but I like knowing it's THERE!
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I love that poster, and the sentence under it! 8)
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          I love that poster, and the sentence under it! 8)
          Oh, do you mean my avatar and the "Gates of hell" sentence? They're from my web site.

Comment

Working...
          X