This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes I wonder...

If Kubuntu IS Ubuntu, but with another interface, why some stuffs can work perfectly on Ubuntu while in Kubunt is a pain to make them work?
    Honestly, the only reason that makes me keep Kubuntu running in my notebook is its look. But I am beggining to reconsider. >
    &quot;Our idols and demons will pursue us untill we learn to let them go.&quot;<br />~Madonna~

Re: Sometimes I wonder...

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3115921.0
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

To add a little:

While Kubuntu IS simply KDE on top of an Ubuntu core, there are just enough differences to make things a bit muddy.

Most of that probably stems from what tools KDE have available that may or may not equal those of Ubuntu's gnome implementation or customizations.

pulseaudio support is one example. Gnome's pa tools are superior to KDE's. They have benn using PA longer, and KDE have only recently supported it.

Another difference is of course that Ubuntu works on gnome, hacks on gnome, develops for a gnome interface. They understandably put just about all their resources into Ubuntu . Kubuntu, while officially sanctioned (as are ubuntu studio, xubuntu, etc), is still a community-based and community-run distro. Kubuntu gets the infrastructure, even a developer or so, but other than where things may effect the Ubuntu core in terms of libraries, kernels, etc we do pretty much what we want, and how we want to.

Things in Ubuntu Just Work due to the massive size of their development community making it that way. Kubuntu is a side project. Mandriva and Opensuse focus on KDE, so there Things Just Work probably due to similar focus on creating things to be that way (yast, and the mcc for example).

I know sadfl hates the term, but we ARE the blue-haired stepchild; personally I like that (even if it makes me a muppet ) and use the moniker with pride.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
        I know sadfl hates the term, but we ARE the blue-haired stepchild; personally I like that (even if it makes me a muppet ) and use the moniker with pride.

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
          There are some benefits to this arrangement. In Kubuntu, we don't have arbitrarily moving window controls, monthly changing default search engines, suggestions to sign outgoing mail with "sent from Ubuntu" or ubuntuone pushed down our throats...there's also less interaction with Jono Bacon.

All huge bonuses IMO :P

pulseaudio support is one example. Gnome's pa tools are superior to KDE's. They have benn using PA longer, and KDE have only recently supported it.
          That sort of thing goes both ways, though. Ubuntu adopted pulseaudio a bit "too early", and there was a time when audio was tricky in ubuntu, but worked fine in kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            All huge bonuses IMO :P
            +1
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X