This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Android apps

Last night--after being too impatient to wait for replies!--I decided to plunge ahead. I followed these instructions but couldn't get past the first part of #4:

#4 Go to menu>settings>applications. Make sure the "unknown sources" box is checked.
    There is no "unknown sources" (or anything remotely similar) in my settings--and note that these instructions are for my specific phone, the Motorola Bravo.

Ignoring that and attempting to proceed caused the installation to fail, as the phone refuses to install from the unknown source.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

What Android version do you have?

No, you must have it! Open the "Settings" app, select "Applications" and what do you see?
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
        Last night--after being too impatient to wait for replies!--I decided to plunge ahead. I followed these instructions but couldn't get past the first part of #4:

#4 Go to menu>settings>applications. Make sure the "unknown sources" box is checked.
        There is no "unknown sources" (or anything remotely similar) in my settings--and note that these instructions are for my specific phone, the Motorola Bravo.

Ignoring that and attempting to proceed caused the installation to fail, as the phone refuses to install from the unknown source.
        Some providers in the US remove that menu item so you can't side load apps and instead have to install everything from the Android Market. ATT is the worst... I think Verizon does it too.

Comment

Originally posted by toad
          What Android version do you have?
          It's 2.1.

No, you must have it! Open the "Settings" app, select "Applications" and what do you see?
          No, really, trust me on this! It's NOT there.

Settings | Applications has 4 choices:

. Manage applications
          . Running services
          . Development
          . Double tap home launch

and that's it. I checked within each of those, just to make sure, but nothing.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
            Some providers in the US remove that menu item so you can't side load apps and instead have to install everything from the Android Market. ATT is the worst... I think Verizon does it too.
            I think you're on to something--I have AT&T.

As someone who's used to having utter, absolute control over every *nix system I've ever touched [since 1985], it's pretty weird having something tell me "that's not from a trusted source and for your protection it can't be installed" (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea). How the hell do I get around this?

Comment

Just to be informative.
              I have the aformentioned menu/applications/unknown sources that was not ticked on:

TMobile G1 Android original device 1.6 build.
              AT&T on the card it was enabled at the third party vendor store where I bought the phone used many years ago.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
              X