This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android apps

Am I the only one finding the choice of apps bewildering? Some look nice but keep on "calling home" and I have no idea what and with whom they communicate. Basically, I don't like it and thought that this community shared similar tastes/distates, hence this thread.

Apps people found useful so far:

AdFree - does what it says, uses /etc/hosts
    Advanced Task Killer - yet I kill them all and within seconds they are back again!? Example is K9-Mail
    ArcMedia - good video player with all codecs
    Astro File Manager - file manager
    Barcode Scanner - you know why
    BeyondPod - for podcasts
    DrShopper - shopping list
    Google Translate
    K9-Mail - mail app
    Lookout - security app
    MapDroyd - have all maps available offline
    Öffi stations and directions - great public transport app
    OSMTracker - for those who want to keep track of their hikes and perhaps even contribute to OpenStreetMaps
    Skyfire - great browser
    Tapatalk - for forums

I will keep this list updated if people contribute
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: Android apps

I think this Android thread is a good idea, especially since Android phones/tablets are increasing market share rapidly. I expect we'll see KDE for tablets before too long.

I'm still finding out how to use this LG-P500. I am on Orange and it seems that Orange control how you get the APPs - but I'm not sure. Where do you get yours from?

Comment

I get mine from the Android market - my provider put a market app on my homescreen.

At least something of value, as he has also, in his infinite wisdom, decided to put a facebook app, a twitter app and a number of other (for me at least) absolutely useless apps on my homescreen. Worse, I am barred from uninstalling them!

afaik there are two ways of getting rid of them:

1) root your phone (which I have done) and get a custom ROM (fancy word for firmware)
      2) just chuck them from your homescreen - it means they are still around but at least not in your face.

You said you also have an LG P500 - we are in the lucky position to get an Android 2.3 update come April. I wonder what that is going to do these "provider apps". Naturally you need to root your phone first to get it...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
        Advanced Task Killer - yet I kill them all and within seconds they are back again!? Example is K9-Mail
        What's the point then?

ArcMedia - good video player with all codecs
        For Music I prefer Astro Player Nova. Got special free key from developer!

Astro File Manager - file manager
        agree
        MapDroyd[/b] - have all maps available offline
        What for?
        Is your provider coverage bad?
        Perfect Task Switcher - basically like ATL+TAB
        Doesn't long "Home" do the same?

I have HTC Desire, and here are my additions:

BeyondPod - for podcasts
        Tapatalk - for forums
        Barcode Scanner - you know why
        Timeriffic - automatically switch features on/off
        DrShopper - shopping list
        Google Translate - you know what it is
        http://linuxblog.darkduck.com

Comment

What's the point then?
          Good point. It does kill most of them, though.

MapDroid - it shows OSM material not google stuff and is infinitely better for hiking/mountaineering.

Perfect Task Switcher - basically like ATL+TAB
          Doesn't long "Home" do the same?
          I never knew! One more app to get chucked, thanks

I will incorporate your additional suggestions.

Oh, has anybody come across a proper network manager/monitor yet? And re the barcode scanner - I seriously have no idea what it does... Must check the market and find out.

Comment

I've also got the Facebook and Twitter junk pre-installed; and I cannot remove them (bloody nuisance) - I seem only to be able to move them to one of the other 5 available screens.

How do you root the phone? Does that remove all warranties etc etc?

Comment

Nice thread. Ones I have installed (and not mentioned before, no need to repeat)

- Remote notifier: notification via Bluetooth or Wifi on your PC screen of incoming calls and messages. Great for silent office environments
              - Opera mini browser
              - 2g-3g on off, to quickly toggle roaming. Still looking for a good data connection toggler though
              - Missed reminder: let the phone beep if you have missed a call or message
              - Save my attach: so I can open attachments from Gmail instead of viewing them only
              - Open GPS tracker: track hikes
              - Mobile metronome: tick - tock
              - Text edit and Color notes
              - Unzip
              - Localeswitch: allows predictive texting in more than one language (for a Dutchman living in Spain working in en English speaking company it's quite handy )
              - Launcher Pro: so much better than the default launcher on my Spica
              - Google Street View and Navigation
              - Alarm clock Plus
              - Spotify. I have a premium account and it is great, although the app is a bit rough.

There's the occasional app I install and delete since there is a lot of rubbish.

I am more and more concerned about the security model. Is there a good app to log which app sends which data where?

Comment

if your phone is rooted, using rootexplorer (or any root enabled file explorer), go to /system/apps and delete twitter.apk, and any* other apps you don't want anymore...

*be careful, and do a nandroid backup...if you delete the wrong app, your phone won't boot, so you would have to restore the nandroid backup. With that being said, the first thing I do is delete that stupid twitter app!

apps I use:
                androidVNC - VNC client
                attach email - attach anything to a gmail msg
                awesome drop - send files to your phone via a webpage - NO account required!
                Contact Sender premium (paid app) - send any contact on your phone to another person via sms or email
                Daily strip - gotta have my comic strips!
                Titanium backup - back up settings and apps (+ app data)
                WIFI Analyzer - locate WIFI AP's
                Wireless Tether for root users - self explanatory.
                YouMail - best alternative visual voice mail app out there!
                Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

@ PhilT
                  How to root your phone?

As muzicman0 stated - get a backup (I've got titanium backup) app and back up your install. Then I got z4root for my LG P500 and followed the instructions. One reboot later I had sudo access.

I have no idea whether the guarantee is void or not. What is this guarantee anyway? In my experience they ALWAYS try to wiggle out of anything (understandably enough). If I were to drop the phone in water or from a great height I'm not sure whether any guarantee would hold. As for software - the less they have to do with it the better...

@ Xinixs
                  Wow, localeswitch is just what I've been looking for, thanks! I also agree on launcher pro, got that myself although it is not listed above.

@ muzicman0
                  awesome drop sounds good and I agree on titanium backup. Many thanks for the instructions how to get rid off their spam apps!

Nobody got Lookout? Any others with barcode stuff? Especially with barcode I was bewildered by the multitude of progs - some explicitly state that they "call home", others just request total rights over the device and yet others were modest in the rights they require! I think the worst offender was barcode scanner, the least obtrusive ixmatscanner.

And a general question - is there any point keeping a list of "good apps" in the first post?

Oh, and since my phone hasn't got a torch (flashlight for those from across the big pond) I do like the flashlight app

Oh, and I've found quick profiles, dropbox and skype really useful

Comment

Dropbox!! Have it installed as well, it is just amazing. I found Skype to be a hog and a piece of junk. It made my phone crash and voice quality was terrible. Maybe you have better luck though.

Also forgot ezpdf reader. It is a paid app, but great for reading pdf files.

No idea about the list of 'good' apps. How do you determine that? For anyone looking for a business opportunity: now is the time. Start an Android verification company and give out 'approved' seals to any app that behaves correctly and issue warnings about rogue apps. Offer a pgp sign service for 'good' apps in order to establish a trusted environment.

Anyone picking up the idea? I am OK with 5% commission for handing it to you

Comment

@toad:- Quote" As muzicman0 stated - get a backup (I've got titanium backup) app and back up your install"

Do you mean backup the phone through the USB connection to the PC? I don't know what Titanium Backup is!
                      Please can you explain. Thanks a lot in advance.

Comment

Download the app and do a complete backup, it is fairly self explanatory. It puts it on your phone's SD card and it is up to you whether you want to shovel it over to your PC beforehand.

Oh, and I found the ultimate app (so far at least).

Apps Organizer - you can basically group your apps into different categories to get the same effect as the Start button on your comp. Now my homescreen is perfectly clean with just the one app on it

Comment

There is a KeePassX port in the market. KeePassDroid.

NewsRob isn't on your list yet? Shame!

Smooth Calendar for having upcoming events on your homescreen.

Don't use a task manager... tweak Android's memory limits instead with AutoKiller Memory Optimizer. Widely accepted to be the only acceptable way to free memory.

K-9 Mail was great, but honestly I now find the Gmail app does everything I want it to do.

SetCPU, unless you are on CM7.

ES File Explorer.

Sleepy Time was great to have white noise for my son to fall asleep to while traveling.

Frozen Bubble is on the Market!!!

SiMi Folder is pretty nice for organizing apps... I find the UI is pretty unintuitive though for setting the folders up...

LauncherPro of course.

BTW, when I first started using Tapatalk, I asked the forum owner/administrator if s/he would consider setting that up, and it was up and running hours later!!! Friendliest place on earth, kubuntuforums!

AdFree is stealing in many peoples' opinion...

Comment

@Toad.
                            Thanks for rooting instructions! Been out all day - too late to try today will experiment over the next couple of days. I like the sound of your "ultimate app"!

Comment

Hi
                              I've used the original android t-mobil starting about 6 months after it appeared, bought it second hand and use it with AT&T.

I used appkiller because the battery went down, and I don't have much for it to kill because I set the apps to not do anything "automatically". If it is not set to run, then appkiller can kill it and then it stays off after you've used it.

Same for Barcode Scanner which I use maybe weekly but also have google shopper, but never have had to "kill" them.

I did frozen bubble for a while but not now.

I don't recognize a lot of the listed apps and a lot of the newer ones, do indeed, have adverts.

Some of the adverts are programmed to update the advert in the background and some only update when you use them. So, if you have an app that updates an advert in the background then ATK is going to be constantly showing it.

Depending on how complex the app is, like I have Dilbert, the company has to pay for the copyright useage, then it either gets the money by charging up front or advert.

Abstract Light wallpaper has an advert also but then the person had to pay someone for that beutiful artwork. BUT...it only updates when I open it to change the wallpaper and i have never seen it in ATK.

So.. I'd suggest getting into the settings and and see if it is possible to turn off any kind of "synching" like an advert so it would appear immediately instead of loading while you use it.

An example of an app that does not have an advert but that seems to be running is ATK notepad. It is very simple but if you have a "reminder timer" on the note, then it will constantly be appearing and you see it after you open task killer again. the trick there is to turn off the timer.

So.. I'd suggest

a) getting into the settings and and see if it is possible to turn off any kind of "synching" like an advert so it would appear immediately instead of loading while you use it.

b) Check to see if it is "synching" google apps and turn that off or if it has a reminder timer and turn that off.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                              X