This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arch's Dirty Little Not-So-Secret

No need to apologize, IG. Frank exchanges of views, sometimes passionate, is part of the fuel that drives the FOSS engine, or at least keeps some of the components from getting rusty.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      No need to apologize, IG. Frank exchanges of views, sometimes passionate, is part of the fuel that drives the FOSS engine, or at least keeps some of the components from getting rusty.
      Thanks and good way of putting it. I'll say it again - this forum rules. Do you mind if we move the Arch forum here? It'll just be for awhile, I swear.
      Check out my blog for useful scripts and tips... http://igurublog.wordpress.com

Comment

+1 to IG.

Comment

Originally posted by IgnorantGuru
          Do you mind if we move the Arch forum here? It'll just be for awhile, I swear.
          LOL.

They've got a lot of very good guidance on their forum -- I would not want to hijack it. Maybe we can just link to it.

p.s. I did attempt to install and configure Arch, a couple years ago. Turns out, I'm not smart enough ....

but, it is a very nice Linux distribution, for smart folks, like toad and IG.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            p.s. I did attempt to install and configure Arch, a couple years ago. Turns out, I'm not smart enough ....
            I find that very hard to believe. You wouldn't be pulling IG's leg now, would you? Arch can be a bit of tedious work and research to install compared to Kubuntu, but it's nothing you can't handle if motivated.

Arch has done some things smartly, I'll give them that. Each distro has its pluses and minuses - something I appreciate more as my Linux experience grows.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              So you asked me and I didn't have a clue

As IG said, you probably just lost interest after five minutes or had to rush off to a whisky tasting session (probably the latter, methinks).

No, seriously. Arch is high-brow. They don't let anybody on the forum with an IQ below 150 who has not coded assembler at the age of three. So, o ye of little brain, beware of the great beast they call Arch, for it shall swallow thy computer, eat thy soul, spoil thy wife AND drink thy mead!!! Beware, beware...
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Funniest I've read in weeks!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Some of you may have already seen it, but one of the pacman [Arch's package manager] developer's posted a blog on package signing (for those interested you can find it here).

I came across it in the Arch Forum in a thread relating to package signing. Some of the comments in the thread are admittedly a tad over defensive, but the blog post gives some interesting insights into maintaining pacman, package signing, and the development process in general.

Anyway, it's an interesting read (for those that have the time).

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

Funniest I've read in weeks!
                    Cheers
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Well, toad, I did not mean to imply that you were not able to pull me out of the hole I went into with Arch. I'm sure with a little more patience I could have fixed it. I was playing with a new Eee PC 4G/701 at that time, and thinking Arch would be a good choice for the little 3.7GB SSD that it uses. I found that Debian kernel dev slh had made a custom 2.6.32 sidux kernel for the Eee PC, and so I installed sidux and that kernel, and it is still running that today, in my wife's tender hands.

I found Arch Linux reminded me of my boyhood, in which one Christmas featured a new toy called an "Erector Set". That was a box full of marvelous bits of structural steel pieces, nuts, bolts, a winch, a couple of axles, a set of 4 wheels, and (I'm pretty sure) no instructions at all. In other words, I could make of it whatever I wanted, but without some serious thought and effort, it was just a box of parts. I see Arch that way -- lots of potential there, if one knows how to put the parts together in a useful way.

Comment

Well, the deed is done. (Your name is mentioned in there dibl.) So I'm back in the Debian family at least, which feels pretty good. Thanks again for all the input!

Comment

No more "new version" installations for you, eh IG? BTW, that is a very thorough and well-written article -- my hat is off.

They prefer to provide support via IRC, which unfortunately is central European time (they're all asleep by USA PM). Don't expect a lot of support from the forum, although it comes occasionally.

Comment

About the lacking of Slackware packages, did you make it to http://slackbuilds.org/ ? I'd also like to know your opinion of how well Slackware package security stacks up against Debian/Ubuntu? (Needless to say I trust Ubuntu official repos implicitly.)
                            Welcome newbies!
                            Verify the ISO
                            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                              About the lacking of Slackware packages, did you make it to http://slackbuilds.org/ ? I'd also like to know your opinion of how well Slackware package security stacks up against Debian/Ubuntu? (Needless to say I trust Ubuntu official repos implicitly.)
                              I did notice third-party repos and package sites. I have a high opinion of slackware in general - I'm sure using it is more reasonable than reading about it in terms of what packages and means of installing software are actually available. The docs make it sound like you have to build everything from source. Slack users seem to be very pleased with it, which says a lot. I suspect slack-current is a good choice for a distro, but I didn't get to try it. Someday. For assorted reasons that I didn't go into, I just decided to try aptosid before slackware, and aptosid worked for me.

As for slackware signing their packages, I don't recall the details. I seem to remember it being dependent on the packager and repo. Official slackware only provides about 600 software programs - which is why I said the official repos looked lacking. But I was trying to be very brief in my summary of other distros - I have been accused of writing articles that are too long and I get angry tl;dr comments. Hey, I can't help if I type fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X