X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arch's Dirty Little Not-So-Secret

Originally posted by woodsmoke
    Since the thread has wandered a little into discussion of how "newbies" are treated...
    And I DETEST that term. It should be replaced with "new person" or lke here "new guy".
    Let me guess what your feelings are about the term "Noobs"
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I much prefer noobs to trolls (see my signature)

EDIT:

Of course not my signature but what is below my avatar...
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Well, I once was told at another Linux forum that I should "get past" my use of a term ilke Microsith, but they enthusiastically used the terms newbie, noob, etc.

If there is one term that I think experienced Linux people would not want to use, I ,personally, think it would be noob.

After all, it is a new person to Linux, wanting to use a new and fearsome operating system...wanting to gain the experience of all those wonderful geeksome Linux learned ones, kind of like sitting at the feet of an ancient oriental guru in a mountain top cave...

A cave filled with computer stuff, lots of cool lighted fans in modded consoles, wallpaper that looks like the matrix screensaver and twinkie packages stacked five feet high, but I digress....

Anyway, I would THINK that the ancient and experienced one would possibly recognize that he, or she, was once such a person.... and say....at the worst....."Welcome grasshopper..." but no....

[img width=296 height=400]http://divineneutrality.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/enlightnmnt.jpg[/img]

Instead the first thing uttered by the ancient sage, while he is chomping a twinkie is...

Hey NOOB..

Which is not.....quite......the same as.....

And for those here too YOUNG!!! to know the lyrics:

Hey Jude.....don't make it bad...

Take a sad song....and make it better..

LIke right here at these forums....a sub-forum entitled "Help the new guy". BRAVO!!

Just my thoughts... of little worth.

woodsmoke

Comment

The cartoon is very funny!

The Beatles song, Hey Jude, is my favorite Beatles song.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

kind of like sitting at the feet of an ancient oriental guru in a mountain top cave...

A cave filled with computer stuff, lots of cool lighted fans in modded consoles, wallpaper that looks like the matrix screensaver and twinkie packages stacked five feet high, but I digress....
            Woodie, I think you've been standing too close the fire, or maybe throwing the wrong kinda weeds into it .....

Comment

Okay, so how did you get into my house??! And those weren't Twinkies - I'm vegan (I'm not sure what Twinkies are, but they're NOT food).

I don't use the term 'newbie' in a derogatory way. To me it is just slang or short for 'newcomer', which is not derogatory. I tend to avoid 'noob' as it is a little too close to 'boob' to be non-derogatory. My usage is in compliance with Wikipedia, which is authoritative as always. I hold newcomers, whatever they are called, in the highest regard. It is always the toughest role, and as you say, we've all been there. I think the word used is less important than the attitude toward them, which is often a poor one. Too much ego involved, which means people see newbies as a chance to look smart and experienced themselves. Maybe we need a word for them - 'rotten cabbage' perhaps.

Quinoa rules! Thanks for the dinner suggestion.
              Check out my blog for useful scripts and tips... http://igurublog.wordpress.com

Comment

Look behind you, where the two walls meet the ceiling at the corner. See that little dark object about the size of a match head? ...

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                  Look behind you, where the two walls meet the ceiling at the corner. See that little dark object about the size of a match head? ...
                  Don't forget who you're dealing with! I'm paranoid enough already - you'll have me repainting with a good lead-based paint (which with reactors melting down may have multiple advantages).

Comment

A baby Penguin is called a "chick". Does that sound demeaning?

Comment

Originally posted by IgnorantGuru
                      Don't forget who you're dealing with! I'm paranoid enough already - you'll have me repainting with a good lead-based paint (which with reactors melting down may have multiple advantages).
                      I agree, the lead paint might be a good thing! As far as paranoid, I think I probably could take the crown for that! One reason I don't like the Web-Cam on my laptop. Yes, I actually have it sticky noted up!

Comment

A baby Penguin is called a "chick". Does that sound demeaning?
                        lol - Not at all, I think you should start using that immediately. Let me know how that works out.

One reason I don't like the Web-Cam on my laptop. Yes, I actually have it sticky noted up!
                        I prefer ticky tack for that (the putty for hanging posters). And remember to kill the kernel driver for the microphone (ticky tack tends to clog its little hole). With Flash (or assorted nosy school systems if you're a student) you definitely want these to be conditionally functional!

Comment

OMG......I just LOOKED.....there IS a miniscule, almost the size of the head of a PIN....IN that corner!!!

woodnowyougotmelookingeverywheresmoke!

Comment

http://www.toofishes.net/blog/real-s...ckage-signing/

Comment

Great write-up, skunk, thanks a ton.

IG has now been banned (from the arch forum) after writing a lengthy essay on the package signing thread. It wasn't exactly what I would call gentlemanly, but to ban somebody... Well, it is done and so be it.

Still, I very much value his paccheck idea and am even happier that package signing is in the pipeline
                              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Well at least the pacman devs are now placed in a position to explain themselves. Dan McGee, what I would call one of the major sources of the failed leadership which lead to this, of course has his own view of it. I did note that he implemented my SHA256 sums a couple days ago - I notice his quote in his write-up didn't include how he called my suggestion 'hilarious' at one point - great input from a lead dev. Yet even this he is only (allegedly) merging with pacman version 3.6 (current version is 3.4). 3.6 is also when they have recently roadmapped their package signing in pacman, which as far as I can see means his adding the SHA256 sums is useless - he won't include it in a more current update because that would be immediately useful.

At any rate, the LWN article on Arch has done some good. Words and now some code is flying. And toad if you're going to accuse me of being ungentlemanly, please at least include a link to what I wrote. The forum admin I spoke with wouldn't remove the ban, but he did indicate that a thread about the lack of package signing would be stickied there in deference to my concerns - don't know if he kept his word, but if some good came of it, that was the point.

So it goes. Sorry to Kubuntu Forums that Arch's laundry is being brought here - wasn't my intention - but at least anyone here trying Arch will be aware of the security issue, which I think is a 'Good Thing'. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

Working...
                                X