Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hardware failing - where to look first?

I bought a 1000w OCZ ZX (Amazon $209)

According to OCZ's website, it accepts 110-240v at 50-60htz. 15amps at 110, 8amps at 220.

Most everywhere I've read, efficiency goes up 5-8% with 220v.

Please Read Me

Comment

$200 !!!

It's been six or seven years since I owned a desktop, but then, IIRC, power supplies were $50-75.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

In general, the higher end power supplies are also going to be more efficient, as well as reliable. By over specking, you also gain reliability and longer life. The big supply is always a good choice.

I must admit that when I put together my main computer 4 years ago, I did spring for a higher end (to me that's over $40) and actually spent $100 on a quiet and more efficient one. I generally try to get parts that won't fry if the fan quits or the room temperature goes to tropical in the summer.

Of course, a modern CPU will fry without a fan, but the rest of the parts shouldn't. Then there's also the matter of the graphics card. High performance ones actually do eat some current. Still, I'd be surprised if it would put the whole shebang over 200 watts. The way to know for sure is to actually measure it. I use a clamp-on ammeter. I couldn't resist when they went down to $65. Until then it was really troublesome to put a VOM in series.

Comment

Well, I'm an admitted power-hog. Overclocking my already overclocked video card for example: Factory 600mhz, XFX 670mhz, me 705mhz.... you get the idea.

To further the point, since I have a 1000 watter on the way, I'm looking into a second video card so I can run dual overclocked cards in sli...

Jeez, maybe I need an intervention!

Please Read Me

Comment

I think the 1kw PS is a good investment, for many reasons. I must admit that I don't generally concern myself with the power consumption of computers - being prone to leaving five of them on all the time. I also leave a lot of lights on because I like the looks of things. However I do have the slightly twisted habit of measuring things.

BTW, 20 amp circuits is a good idea, but I think the 240 would be a nuisance. I put a couple of 240 outlets in my workshop and it's not a lot of work, but I also had to put dedicated plugs on the equipment that I use. There is a noticeable efficiency gain with larger motors. It would be handy for more things than I currently use it for, but then I'd have to wire up more chords. It's just a hassle. Though for computers I guess you can just get pre-wired chordsets. The trick would be to get ones that match the legal wall plugs for 240 in NA.

Comment

I just got a hold of OCZ tech support. They don't sell a 220 volt US cable and recommended I use an adapter.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                I just got a hold of OCZ tech support. They don't sell a 220 volt US cable and recommended I use an adapter.
                A cable (aka "gender bender") adapter, or a 220 > 110 adapter? The former, I hope.

Comment

Five minutes later I found it...

http://www.americord.com/computer-po...3-cat-260.html

Please Read Me

Comment

I think 220v @ 50hz is the standard in europe and of course here in the usa we have 110v @ 60hz. So the power supply is compatible with both grids. There is probably a switch on the back letting you change from one to the other. I am pretty sure getting 220 into your computer would be a waste. You would gain a small amount of efficiency in the transmisson of the electricity from the electrical panel to the computer, but that is it. Once it gets to your computer it is all getting converted to direct current regardless of the input.
                    FKA: tanderson

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                      Five minutes later I found it...
                      That's what I was thinking of. There are different plugs all over the world so these must come in a large variety or they wouldn't be able to sell computers in different places. Anyway, in North America, I think the only logical reason to have a 220 outlet (outside of a workshop that uses larger motors or a portable arc welder) is to be able to run European equipment without a converter.

Comment

The charts I saw showed about a 5-7% increase in efficiency (at 75% load, 86% vs. 93%) at the power supply output. I haven't really studied how that might translate into $ in the real world.

The cost of adding the 220 circuit during a new build is almost nothing and the power cord is about $7 so even a small reducing in electrical cost and heat production would pay off rather quickly, even at pennies a week. I currently have three computers on full time (24/7) so I think there'd be some impact, even if slight.

All my current power supplies support 110-250v, 50-60hz, at 15-8a, automatically, so that's not a barrier.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X