X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimize button going in Gnome

I just came across this report:
    Minimise and maximise buttons were recently removed from the window titlebars in GNOME 3. Discussions of the change have been ongoing for some time, but the decision only just happened, and the change came as a surprise to many.
    https://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2011...he-buttons-go/

We discussed the concept of minimizing windows a while ago here. It seems that those that do it, tend to do it out of habit and not so much for any perceived productivity gains. I had thought that it came from Microsoft Windows, but I recently had the (dubious) pleasure of using a Vista machine, and found to my surprise that I was able to open several windows at once - thus proving that even on a Microsoft machine (at least on Vista), there is no practical need to minimize. I guess it will remain one of life's great mysteries to me, but this recent move by Gnome does provide a little relief for my angst and confusion regarding this topic.

Re: Minimize button going in Gnome

But why to assume that the users are uniform mass ?

I think that the KDE idea is better. The user can move or hide the buttons.

Mandatory link > Richard A. Johnson blog >> Let me tell you where to put the buttons…
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

@Rog131

Here, in Natty running KDE 4.6.1, what you are showing doesn't exist. The 'Windows' item does not appear in System Settings > Application Appearance. I have six items:

Style
      Colors
      Icons
      Fonts
      GTK+ Appearance
      Emoticons

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Here, in Natty running KDE 4.6.1, what you are showing doesn't exist. The 'Windows' item does not appear in System Settings > Application Appearance. I have six items:
        in 4.6, window borders (including buttons) configuration is under Workspace Appearance (not Application Appearance)

EDIT: You can configure buttons in Gnome2 as well (it's just hidden deep in gconf), don't know if that'll be an option in Gnome3...are they removing the buttons or just not showing them by default?

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
          in 4.6, window borders (including buttons) configuration is under Workspace Appearance (not Application Appearance)
          Okay. Thank you. So, System Settings > Workspace Appearance > Windows Decorations > Configure Buttons...
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

But can we create our own buttons? I can't seem to find out anywhere. I'd like to be able to create one or two custom buttons that would activate a keyboard short cut or something similar.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X