This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this make sense to you?

I emailed my web host because I wanted to use SSH & SFTP. To me, it sounds like they're saying the allow SFTP, through windows, but not linux... and no SSH at all.

Hi joshua,

This server does not have ssh access through Linux for server security reasons, we can access it using windows and SFTP.

Carl
    Ozgreenserver Team

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: 03/01/11 10:57 AM
    To: <hidden>@gmx.com
    Subject: Re: SSH Access?

I can connect with FTP & FTP-SSL but not SSH or SFTP

BTW-- I do not use Windows, I use CyberDuck on the Mac & FileZilla on Linux

On Feb 28, 2011, at 4:53 AM, Info-By-Ozgreen@gmx.com wrote:

Hi Joshua,

Download for free core Ftp lite or better still filezilla client for windows.
    Use your domain name username and password to login.
    I have found filemanager in cpanel just as good and secure.

Ed
    Ozgreenstar Team

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: 02/28/11 06:33 AM
    To: <hidden>@gmx.com
    Subject: SSH Access?

Hi, I see that there seem to be a mention of SSH in the cPanel, how can I access my site through SSH & SFTP? My website is jpenguin.co.cc

Registered Linux User 545823

Re: Does this make sense to you?

This server does not have ssh access through Linux for server security reasons, we can access it using windows and SFTP.

That's a laugh.

Time you looked for a new host. There are many that use Linux as their server (they are more affordable, too) and your Linux tools will work just fine. Just google "linux web hosting"
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GoDaddy let's you choose between Windows and Linux for your hosting software.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

That's a laugh.

Time you looked for a new host. There are many that use Linux as their server (they are more affordable, too) and your Linux tools will work just fine. Just google "linux web hosting"

Glad to know it's not just me who thinks this is ridiculous. I have about 8mo paid in advance (through a promotional offer, I got 9mo for $3.00 AUD), but I'll look for a new host.

BTW-- According to netcraft, my host does use linux http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...greenstar.info my sit appears to be on linux too http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=jpenguin.co.cc
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I wasn't familiar with SFTP so I did a net search and Wikipedia says:

SFTP may refer to the following.

Relating to file transfer:

* SSH File Transfer Protocol, a network protocol designed to provide secure file transfer and manipulation facilities over SSH
          * FTP over SSH, the practice of tunneling an FTP session over SSH, sometimes called Secure FTP (rarely used, because FTP's normal 2-channel nature makes such tunneling difficult)
          * Secure File Transfer Program, 'sftp' on the command line, a true SSH File Transfer Protocol client from the OpenSSH project
          * Simple File Transfer Protocol, an unsecured and rarely-used file transfer protocol from the early days of the Internet
          * Serial File Transfer Protocol, a protocol used to transfer files between a PC and an embedded device using RS-232 or similar serial protocols
          It seems that it is not a clearly defined term.

I have a great provider where I get huge bandwidth, obscene disk space, and knowledgeable (and helpful) e-mail response within minutes. I've been with them for 3 years now. I have also used their immediate response phone support, but the e-mail is actually better for technical stuff. It does cost me $6.50 per month, but I just noticed they've got a new plan for 4.99 /month. Considering the very professional support, I though that was really cheap! As for your account - seriously, for little more than two bits a month, I'm surprised they even answered your e-mail. (Check out Superb Hosting)

Comment

Working...
          X