This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Lazy Am I?

This is my plan, I want to mount a big flat screen (maybe a 46") to my wall facing the foot of my bed, get a wireless keyboard and wireless trackball mouse so I can lay in bed and have minimal movement to operate my computer.

What are your thoughts? Could I improve this idea in any way?
    Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Re: How Lazy Am I?

I set back in my recliner with my feet up and my laptop setting on a small table that fits across the recliner. My 16" screen is about 18" in front of me. If a TV were at a distance equal to the foot of my bed it would have to be about 52" to match the apparent size of my laptop's display.

I occasionally I take my laptop to bed. With the covers pulled up I place it on a plastic clamshell which allows ventilation (so the blankets don't block the vent holes), and my wireless mouse is on the blanket beside me. My wife can watch too. At 18" this laptop looks pretty good because it has "full HD 1080p", even though most movies are only 720p to minimize bandwidth while maximizing quality.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by thelonegunmen
      This is my plan, I want to mount a big flat screen (maybe a 46") to my wall facing the foot of my bed, get a wireless keyboard and wireless trackball mouse so I can lay in bed and have minimal movement to operate my computer.

set up feeding tubes and wast disposal

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        I set back in my recliner with my feet up and my laptop setting on a small table that fits across the recliner. My 16" screen is about 18" in front of me. If a TV were at a distance equal to the foot of my bed it would have to be about 52" to match the apparent size of my laptop's display.

I occasionally I take my laptop to bed. With the covers pulled up I place it on a plastic clamshell which allows ventilation (so the blankets don't block the vent holes), and my wireless mouse is on the blanket beside me. My wife can watch too. At 18" this laptop looks pretty good because it has "full HD 1080p", even though most movies are only 720p to minimize bandwidth while maximizing quality.
        P.S.: If you are going to connect your laptop to your TV you'll need a sufficiently long HDMI cable and the video driver your hardware requires must be able to see the second display (your TV). On this Sony VAIO AGN-FW140E running the i915 Intel driver when I plug in an HDMI cable my display goes blank and my laptop locks up.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, yes, it would be nice that if you could please just adopt me as your son. It would be a great improvement, at least for me

I'm stuck with an ancient 1280X1024 CRT monitor

Comment

P.S.: If you are going to connect your laptop to your TV you'll need a sufficiently long HDMI cable and the video driver your hardware requires must be able to see the second display (your TV). On this Sony VAIO AGN-FW140E running the i915 Intel driver when I plug in an HDMI cable my display goes blank and my laptop locks up.
            I'm using a desktop, so I can just set my computer down below the tv and run an HDMI, honestly though, for movies I don't even need an HDMI to see them in HD on my computer, right now I have a 32" 720p sumsung tv as a monitor/tv on my desk, my chair hurts my back because I have to hunch over the keyboard, I have developed (over the many many years at a computer) what I call a "nerd hump" in my back.
            Motherboard:ASUS P5Q SE PLUS<br />Videocard:EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB<br />Ram:G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)<br />Processor:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Comment

Welllll i have just one caveat to the idea.....

I'd use the Gyration (wave it in the air) "airmouse" instead of a trackball! The trackball can get french onion dip on it and gom up!

Or get the combo of mouse and keyboard which I did. It works marvy with any of the better Linuxs. I ran them with Klikit years ago.

However, if your feet are just WAY big, they might get in the way of the signal! Naaah just kidding, it/they work marvy at 11 feet and further.

You can also use it just as a mouse on a mousepad, etc. also as an "advancer" for powerpoints etc.

The mouse alone, it doesn't "look" as if it would fit in the hand well but it does

The combo package

woodverylazysmoke

Comment

Standard wireless keyboards won't do it. The actual distance most of them are good for is less than 8 feet. Add fluffs of a down comforter and bags of potato chips to the mix and you definitely lose the connection.

Look at media center type keyboards with extended ranges.

Oh, and don't forget the bed-side mini fridge and twice daily masseuse! 8)

Please Read Me

Comment

I just built one of these for my brother-in-law to put in his bedroom two weeks ago. Built a triple-core AMD, snagged a lower-end Radeon with HDMI out and connected to the 37" TV in his bedroom. Although he's currently using 2.1 audio he's thinking about putting 5.1 in there - I think he's jealous because I've got 5.1 in *my* bedroom

He's got a wireless keyboard with a built-in trackball - he should be all set.

The down side? I put Windows 7 on the thing :P
                  we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                  X