This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debian's installer (still) sucks!

Geez. I really would like to play around with Debian. However, I've now wasted several hours, first downloading the 'testing' 6.0rc2 .iso, and today, the net-installer. I tried installing both in Oracles VB 4.02. Both failed at the package selection stage. I was able to get the net-installer to do a non-graphical install (no GUI environment).

It is truely unfortunate that Debian continues to have installer issues. Sad. Really sad.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Debian's installer (still) sucks!

I have recently installed Debian 5 a couple of times and I made a random choice at the beginning which happened to be a lucky one. The choice between GUI and non-graphical had me stumped. It actually made me quite angry when I discovered that the "non-graphical' turned out to be using similar graphics to their old installer which I had seen before. At that point I think the installer is one of the easiest I've ever used. Personally I think they would be better off using conventional and direct English. If they mean "mouse" vs "no mouse" then it would be better to just say so. Anyway, that's my complaint about it, but I was just using the net-installer to get to a command line so I could use apt-get for the rest. Perhaps that is as far as the development has gotten on the installer. Certainly judging by what you say, it has problems if you want to go further with it.

Comment

I tried "squeeze" several times and it just locked my system, had to do a hard reset to reboot.

AV Linux works just fine (based on debian).

Need to play with debian more to figure that out.

Ken.
      Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

I had better luck. I installed Sid on an old Toshiba laptop without a glitch. I would have used Squeeze, but I needed the newer kernel in order to get a certain driver.

Comment

Working...
        X