This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 10.04 impressions

I installed kubuntu 10.04 on a spare computer a couple of days ago, after a couple of hours of work I have a nice stable install with some really nice eye candy!

The original install ran fine but after bringing it up to date it had some issues loading the desktop. I upgraded KDE to 4.5.3 and the desktop loaded fine after that but some libs did not get pulled in for KMail and PIM... I launched the effected apps from the terminal to see what libs were missing and the problems were quickly resolved. I also had to play around with the compositing settings to fix a random issue with some weird rectangles appearing on the desktop but my NVidea graphics might have played a role in that issue.

I installed Firefox, KDiskfree, Bleachbit, Totem and all the multimedia codecs. To finish things off, I used the KDE 4.6.0 default wallpaper because I thought it looked sharp with everything else. The system looks and runs fantastic! I should mention that I used Totem because it plays Apple trailers in full screen without double buffering and crashing, MPlayer just causes me nothing but problems. Almost forgot, I had to fix plymouth after installing the NVidea drivers but it works perfectly with no text appearing so system start looks very good now.

In the end the LTS was the perfect solution for my particular hardware and it was worth a little bit of work to have some bling and stability.

Edit: I added Synaptic and made it look native to KDE with a quick Google search. It is just quicker for me to use Synaptic compared to KPackagekit. Just trying to give complete information in case anyone else is interested in a similar setup because the LTS seems very solid and reliable at this point in time.

Re: kubuntu 10.04 impressions

I would be interested in the Synaptic setup to make it look native KDE ... what did you do?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
    X