• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix rates ISP performance

Interesting read -

http://techblog.netflix.com/2011/01/...-networks.html

and here's the US chart,

[img width=400 height=277]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gC6nMAI6mu8/TUHG6jsQq-I/AAAAAAAAADE/Bwe1fkAUxzA/s1600/isp_usa.png[/img]

and the Canadian chart.

[img width=400 height=272]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gC6nMAI6mu8/TUHG6OO3qHI/AAAAAAAAAC8/O8bpoKwzIMk/s1600/isp_canada.png[/img]
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Re: Netflix rates ISP performance

I really can't tell who that top, dark green, ISP is. CableVision? Charter?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      I really can't tell who that top, dark green, ISP is. CableVision? Charter?
      We can thank SMF for resizing images

The link has big pictures but the top green line is Charter.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Like most speed measurements, burst speed and sustained speed are two different things.

As Ken Florance, Director of Content Delivery at Netflix says in the article, the statistics are an average of burst speed measurements. Netflix sees speeds increase and decrease throughout streaming. Fast burst speeds allow the cache to fill up, giving better viewing over time.

So then the question becomes how long a throttle period is imposed by the ISP.

When i had Comcast, after a certain amount of data transmission at a certain speed, it would throttle my speed down to an almost unusable level for 15 minutes.

This caused my Netflix stream to halt after the amount in the cache was used up. When I was on Comcast, watching Netflix was painful, despite the high burst transmission speeds.

I have since switched from Comcast to an ISP that doesn't throttle, and in contrast my Netflix streaming is high quality and uninterrupted.

It happens to be a WISP, but a very good one, with both rural and municipal service.

Because I was locked into a contract with AT&T, I happen to have both AT&T and the WISP at the same time. The WISP outperforms AT&T by 25% on speed tests (at Speedtest, although I haven't been able, obviously, to do the same tests as Netflix), and they do not have throttling.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Not to start a flame/speed war or anything, but Verzion where I'm at is off that chart...
          Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Oh, and that was with three other computers and my DVR and VOIP all on line too. 8)

Please Read Me

Comment

What type of 'net connection - Cable; Satellite; T-1;...

Those speeds are sick!
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                What type of 'net connection - Cable; Satellite; T-1;...

Those speeds are sick!
                Verizon FIOS, I'll wager. It's too fast to be DSL.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Bingo! $65 a month but no speed issues. The bandwidth was more important when my sons lived with us, but it's still nice to have virtually unlimited speeds. I'm working towards dropping pay TV and replacing it in part with internet TV.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X