This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally had enough of FireFox...

I have a 12Mb/s bandwidth connection with a 500mw (IIRC) wifi transmitter, from which my laptop is only 10 ft away.

For the last month FireFox has been a constant source to aggravation. I ignored the appearance of a 30 second delay after I fired it up before I could click an icon or enter text in the Google search bar. But, I started noticing LONG delays between clicking a button in this forum and having something actually occur. If I clicked the "Preview" or "Post" button it might take over a minute before the posting reflected on the Kubuntuforum website, if it didn't time out. Click just about any other link and it became a dice game as to if I would get a response or a long delay. At times I thought the forum had crashed, which is an occasional occurrence, since it isn't using Linux as a server.

Then I began to wonder if my new wifi was giving me problems, but my wife reported her response was just fine.

Out of grins I fired up Chromium and imported my FF bookmarks. The delays disappeared. Chromium's response is very rapid. In fact, much faster than FF ever was. There are some features I miss (switching to a new tab when it is opened, private browsing), but it will be easier to adjust to those limitations than to surf with a ball and chain.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: I finally had enough of FireFox...

I use Chrome and I'm very pleased with it. You can still privately browse. It's called an incognito window and it's in the "wrench" menu.

It's been a while since I used Chromium so the incognito function may be elsewhere but it was there when I used it!
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
      I use Chrome and I'm very pleased with it. You can still privately browse. It's called an incognito window and it's in the "wrench" menu.

It's been a while since I used Chromium so the incognito function may be elsewhere but it was there when I used it!
      yes same place in ver 8.0.552.224 (68599) Ubuntu 10.04 anyway

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks! I'll look for "incognito"! 8)
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

It's a shame FF seems to have lost its way but I hear FF 4 is better

I live in Linux but work in Windows and on my work machines have pitched FF for IE8. On the Linux boxes at home I ran chrome-unstable for awhile, found it to be a bit too bleeding edge for me and switched to chromium. Been pretty happy ever since

I did have to fire up FF to do my taxes earlier this week but that's more a problem with TurboTax' website than with chromium - since the whole tax thing is java based it probably would have run just fine, but since I was dealing with financials I decided not to change the user agent string in chromium and try to do my taxes. TT supports IE6 and later and FF under Windows and Safari under Mac - no Linux support. Interestingly, last year I think I *did* have to change the user agent string in FF to get TurboTax to play nice but this year the site offered up a link that said "I know the browser's unsupported but please continue anyway" - that link didn't show up when I tried to hit the site with chromium, it just flat wouldn't let me in.

I've learned to live with (and actually appreciate) chromium's rather spartan feature set - the only extensions I use are flashblock, adblock and xmarks and the thing just works.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

I have never used FF. Switched from IE to Chrome directly (with little bit of Chromium for some time).
            It works like a dream.
            FF is the only browser which incorrectly shows table at the top of my homepage (http://www.darkduck.com) That was why I have never ever used it. How can I use browser which implements HTML standards incorrectly?
            http://linuxblog.darkduck.com

Comment

I was a fervent FF/Iceweasel user from way back in the late 1990s, until late 2009, but it just got so bulky and CPU-intensive that I was tempted to try chromium-browser. I have a conky on my KDE desktop that shows the usage of my CPU cores, and it was immediately obvious that, with chromium-browser, I was getting a lot more browser action for a lot less CPU investment. Still very happy with it -- now running ver. 10.0.xxx.

@darkduck, I like your web site's front page. Is that a muscovy duck?

Comment

GG, try this extension. Works for me.
                https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...khggjmacjlacla

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  GG, try this extension. Works for me.
                  https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...khggjmacjlacla
                  Now *that* is cool.
                  we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

Cool it is!!!! And, I didn't have to "reboot" Chromium! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thanks for the tip, Detonate!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                      I didn't have to "reboot" Chromium! 8) 8) 8) 8)
                      What? Reboot Chrom*? Why would you need it ever?

Comment

whats the dif between chrome & Chromium .........I have both and it looks to be the same thing.

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Chromium is community project, supported by Google.
                          Chrome is Google browser based on Chromium.

Chromium is bleeding edge and sandbox, while Chrome is more stable.

There are some features in Chrome which are not in Chromium.

Comment

Originally posted by darkduck
                            Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            I didn't have to "reboot" Chromium! 8) 8) 8) 8)
                            What? Reboot Chrom*? Why would you need it ever?
                            Good question. FireFox has been, since it was first released, the ONLY browser I have ever used and FF always requires a restart after an extension is added. It was a very pleasant surprise to find out that a browser reboot wasn't necessary.

Comment

Hm, my FF is pretty snappy and that "tab to the front" extension is pretty much automatic with FF. However, the "rebooting" or lack thereof for chromium is _cool_.

I use FF, chromium and opera on a daily basis - one to surf, one to watch veetle and another for sensitive stuff and I cannot for the life of me notice any difference. FF stays on top of my favourite list, however, because of its extensions - I've got 21 of them
                              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                              X