This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sen. Al Franken has the RIGHT idea!

He and Cantwell sponsor of a bill to restore and maintain true Internet neutrality.

http://cantwell.senate.gov/news/0125..._bill_text.pdf

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Sen. Al Franken has the RIGHT idea!

This is a slippery slope for me. I don't think it is the gov's place to do things like this. I tend to be more of a constitutionalist. On the other hand, big corporations have outgrown the constraints of the traditional capitalist system, so who else can touch them besides the gov.? I guess if the gov. were more open and transparent, I would trust them more. Congress is still the same old swap it has been for decades. This draft seems pretty tame, but there are other liberal bills drafted for net neutrality that go a lot further in the wrong direction. They want to basically control the internet, and tell people what content they can provide. I've called AT&T once a month for three years about DSL service. I'm stuck with expensive satellite service with strict download limits, or dial-up. They say it is not monetarily beneficial to extend it to my rual location at this time because there aren't enough potential customers to justify the cost. The county next to me has more money, and chipped in to help AT&T run DSL throughout the whole county. I can almost throw a rock across county lines. To me, the bottom line is morality. There is just not much of it to go around these days. I don't begrudge anyone for how much money they make, but to me having a lot of money should come standard with morality. Heck, if I were independently wealthy, I would help as many people as I could as long as they worked and tried to help themselves. I have no sympathy for anyone that doesn't try and support themselves, and expects the gov. to give them everything. Sorry for the long rant. This just subconsciously touched a nerve I guess. End rant...
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Quotes from pdf mentioned above

(1) Two-way communications networks con-
      stitute basic infrastructure that is as essential to our
      national economy as roads and electricity.
      He had me at hello.

(2) Broadband Internet access service pro-
      viders shall not require end users to purchase voice
      grade telephone service, commercial mobile radio
      voice services, or multichannel-video programming
      distribution services or other specialized services as
      a condition on the purchase of any broadband Inter-
      net access service.
      I would love to tell my phone company that I just want their
      dsl service and they can take my home phone service and put it
      where the sun doesn't shine.

(1) block, interfere with, or degrade an end
      user’s ability to access, use, send, post, receive, or
      offer lawful content (including fair use), applica-
      tions, or services of the user’s choice
      oooh! there it is "lawful content". I think that term needs
      a lot of defining! SSL?

all in all, I like!

FKA: tanderson

Comment

Originally posted by tanderson
        Quotes from pdf mentioned above

(1) Two-way communications networks con-
        stitute basic infrastructure that is as essential to our
        national economy as roads and electricity.
        He had me at hello.

(2) Broadband Internet access service pro-
        viders shall not require end users to purchase voice
        grade telephone service, commercial mobile radio
        voice services, or multichannel-video programming
        distribution services or other specialized services as
        a condition on the purchase of any broadband Inter-
        net access service.
        I would love to tell my phone company that I just want their
        dsl service and they can take my home phone service and put it
        where the sun doesn't shine.

oooh! there it is "lawful content". I think that term needs
        a lot of defining! SSL?

all in all, I like!

+1

Comment

IMO The internet and un-restrained access to it should be as constitutionally protected as free speech. I bet there's a couple of liberal lawyers out there who'd love to take that case to the Supreme Court!

Think of China and their efforts to block there people from finding out what's going on in the free world, clearly free internet is as threatening as free speech and the right to protest.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ahhhhhh there's the rub!

As of NOW, if the new version of the Fairness Doctrine becomes law... the "lawful" content would NOT include conservative opinion, one would need to have a "liberal" opinion, word for word, to match the conservative opinion.

Well, you say.....the conservatives could do the same thing......they could shut down "liberal" talk in the exact same manner....

Well I say........ when the horses have left the barn it is kind of hard to get them back...

All that the liberal has to do to "win" is refuse to go on the station and the station is ipso post facto gone.

And all that the conservatives have to do is not go on the station and the liberal station is gone....

Leaving the rest of the net which is...by definition........liberal.....

Hey.........GREAT you say......after all woodsmoke is just a doof and good riddance to him!

Until.......

Somebody FARTHER left than you...........comes along.......

And since there is no reference point from the conservative voice that used to be there.....

Your..... liberal viewpoint........is now.........."too far right".....and will be made illegal...

by those people who always tell us that they are SO much SMARTER than us... >

aaaaahhhhh there is the rub that people just do not want to think about.....

Wild in the Streets.... a film of the sixties in which all the wonderful intelligent people that were NOT old, took power and put all those old folks in concentration camps.

But then... at the end the "under 30" president is shot in the back with an AK-47 by a kid who says anyone over 20 is TOO OLD...(or some such number ).

The point being that when the "slippery slope" as GTA67 said... is started......all sorts of "stuff" just slides downhill faster and ends up on all of us.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
            X