This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gNOME sucks

Wow does gnome suck or what? I think I speak for 75% percent of the "non-idiot' group of Linux users when I say, gnome sucks. I hate it. You can't customise anything! Perhaps if my grandma was to use a linux machine she might be comfortable using gnome but other than that who the heck wants to use it? Making things "Easier" doesn't help anyone when problems go wrong in gnome. I even dislike the name, "gnome." makes me thing of my lawn. Flame me if you like, long live KDE and its Direction.

Re: gNOME sucks

I don't think many will flame you here. You're safe in a forum dedicated to the KDE version of Ubuntu.

I'm not sure what ever led me to start using KDE and abandon Gnome but I never regret that decision. Of course, I don't fault others for using it, though. They're just unenlightened! Also, I'm guessing that there's a reason why Ubuntu is switching to Unity. I'll be curious to try that out.
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
      I don't think many will flame you here. You're safe in a forum dedicated to the KDE version of Ubuntu.

I'm not sure what ever led me to start using KDE and abandon Gnome but I never regret that decision. Of course, I don't fault others for using it, though. They're just unenlightened! Also, I'm guessing that there's a reason why Ubuntu is switching to Unity. I'll be curious to try that out.
      Unity seems promising. Excited for that. gNOME users are okay, just the developers seem to be narrow minded.

Comment

Yeah, Linus (the "Linu" of linux) himself agrees with you. I have tried it once or twice and can't stand it to the second boot. However, I have converted a couple of windows novices to it, so it does have some purpose.

Usually I wait a couple of months then show them my KDE install. It's not necessary to detail what happens next... 8)

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          Usually I wait a couple of months then show them my KDE install. It's not necessary to detail what happens next... 8)
          Does it include "Can you do that for me on my machine?!"

Regards...
          Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
          How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
          PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I gotta admit I do miss gedit. Apologies to the diehard KDE fans but kate blows chunks

Looking for a Qt text editor I found juffed which is a little more to my liking but it didn't integrate well with KDE and I really didn't feel like messing with it too much.

But - it's all about choices. I don't want gedit badly enough to load up a buncha GNOME libraries. kate would make me a whole lot happier if I could get rid of the left pane on the thing but nothing I've tried will make that change stick - I get rid of the pane and it comes right back the next time I start kate.
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

@Wiz: Funny, gedit looked exactly like kwrite to me... But I've switched to kate because I like the side panel. As you said - choices are good!

@Aardvark: Exactly! 8)

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                I gotta admit I do miss gedit. Apologies to the diehard KDE fans but kate blows chunks
                Whoa there, partner, thems fight'n words! :P

kate would make me a whole lot happier if I could get rid of the left pane on the thing but nothing I've tried will make that change stick - I get rid of the pane and it comes right back the next time I start kate.
                First, use View --> Tool Views --> and on that dialog toggle "Show Sidebars". That gets ride of the two vertical icons in the left side bar. Then, drag the right edge of the left panel to its left side.

There's too much power in that left panel to hide it from view. For example, when I downloaded the CRU FOIA file and browsed the emails I used Kate to select ALL 1,072 emails. I then did a file search for various words or phrases. A panel below the right panel would open up and list all occurrences of that word by file name and a partial display of the line in which the word appeared. If I click on one of those lines the document from which it came would automatically open to that line in the document. From there I could copy & paste, etc... what ever.... And, I used Kate on Linux for nearly three years to write programs using the Qt4 API. When I was done testing them against PostgreSQL I'd copy the source to my Windows side and compile with MS VC++ 6.0 to create the production executable which ran against Oracle. Programming with Kate in Linux was 3 to 5 times faster than using MSVC on WinXP.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                  ...First, use View --> Tool Views --> and on that dialog toggle "Show Sidebars". That gets ride of the two vertical icons in the left side bar. Then, drag the right edge of the left panel to its left side.
                  That works but the stuff comes back after a restart. That's the part that's irritating

Most of the time I just want to edit a single text file - I agree there's a lot of power there but having to close the sidebars and drag the panel over every time I start kate gets a bit annoying. It takes up better than a third of the window and I don't use the stuff that often. I'd like to be able to turn it off and back on.

Guess I'll make it a feature request. All I want is a choice on whether to enable those features by default.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

I love KAte!

Comment

I have nothing against Kate but I prefer CLI nano 9 times out of 10. It's just easier and quicker. I probably have this preference because I never author any code; I just modify config files and stuff.

But for Conky config files . . . I bring out the big guns and Kate is reliable.
                      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                        That works but the stuff comes back after a restart. That's the part that's irritating
                        Man, you missed the greatest kate's feature which you won't find in most text editor. It's called sessions . To save your prefs as default, click Sessions and Save Session as Default.

ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuku
                          Man, you missed the greatest kate's feature which you won't find in most text editor. It's called sessions . To save your prefs as default, click Sessions and Save Session as Default.
                          :facepalm:

That worked, ubuntuku - thanks. Now I'll shut up about it
                          -- anais nin

Comment

Why the fanaticism? I'm using Kde and Gnome in different systems and I'm really happy with both of them. And as for the customizability thing, I think that, with a little effort you can make Gnome look like KDE and Kde like Gnome. And what are the overwhelmingly superior pros of KDE? More and better looking useless widgetty thingies decorating your desktop? Of course I don't mean to say that there's no difference at all between the two guis, but instead of declaring the absolute winner, you could say "use whatever's fit for your needs (and quirks)". And I'm not taking up the role of some "Saint of mοderation"; it could as well be true on objective standards, that Gnome is cr@p, but that's just not the case here.

Comment

I have to go along with hypopotamus....I was a long time user of gnome,who has more recently worked with kde (using Kubuntu) but now primarily using Linux Mint Debian 64 bit (which is gnome of course)...

I think KDE is very nice, has great eye candy and all...but there is nothing wrong with gnome...in fact, in certain cases, i find it is actually easier to use then kde (even though i got use to the differences between the two desktops) and in terms of appearance, you can make gnome look anyway you like...it's isn't that hard to pretty it up...

In fact, the Mint X Appearance Theme (which is the default now in mint 10 as well as LMDE) gives it that metalish KDE look and lots of times when using it, i forget i am not on kde but on gnome

I also feel that Linux Mint's presentation of gnome in both appearance and function, is much NICER then the way Ubuntu presents it...Such items as: Mint Menu, Software Center, Control Center (to make adjustments to everything much like the kde control center)...Mint X Theme (metal kde'ish/mac look...lol) the way the home folders looks, various added mint tools, etc...etc...and even just one panel (and on the bottom..again...just like kde)...

There are certain programs on kde that i discovered while using it that i like better then gnome programs (examples K3B and Amarok) so i simply use them on LMDE and they work just as fine as they do in the kde desktop environment..

On the other hand, there are many gnome programs that i find that i like much better then the KDE equivalent ...though i did notice that if a KDE program excels over a gnome program it usually does so in a BIG WAY (like K3b for example..wouldn't do without it now)...

Comment

Working...
                              X