• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an interesting insight

As the subject says. Any thoughts!

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...oduct-Name.htm

Re: Just an interesting insight

I haven't looked at Unity, and I'm not a GNOME user, so perhaps I'm missing some relevance but I see this as just the beginning of a new phase. I have a feeling that we will see more forking and reshuffling of window managers. People are starting to identify with them and they have long been expecting them to sort out their basic computing needs. I've been thinking lately that the window manager is, in a sense, a kind of OS. Really, these days we all run three operating systems. The IO and utility OS, the WM OS, and the browser OS. For many here this corresponds to Linux, KDE, and Firefox. I see these three areas, or OSs, as changing over time and eventually one single one swallowing up the other two.

Comment

I upgraded my wife's netbook from UNR 10.04 (which she liked) to UNR 10.10 (which she hated). Unity was pretty but had poor functionailty, (wasn't everyone saying that about KDE4 once) so I switched it for her to the gnome desktop (which I personally find as interesting as watching paint dry - man I wish she'd let me put KDE on it!). It was as simple as changing the option at the login screen. I don't doubt that in future it will be as simple as that again - I can't see Mr Shuttleworth being so stupid as to make it difficult to switch between the 2.

Clearly, Canonical are trying to differentiate themselves but so long as they are happy to make Unity freely available without restriction to anyone who wants it, I'm not sure what the problem is tbh. If other distros can freely distribute it to their customers, for them to install (or not) according to their wishes, then isn't that what Linux is all about? Or am I missing something?

Comment

which I personally find as interesting as watching paint dry
        ROFL

Good one.

Comment

which I personally find as interesting as watching paint dry
          I beg to differ - some paint actually changes color as it dries. Making it somewhat more enjoyable to watch...

Please Read Me

Comment

In the U.S. Navy we had three colours of paint for berthing spaces...

We had to mix the one of the three colours with a "carrier".

The colours were desert sand, sky blue and sea foam green.

As we laid in our racks watching the paint dry....

it all changed to battleship grey!

woodsmoke

Comment

I was wondering how they made that color!!!

Comment

Interesting... wonder what they did as that colour mix ought to have resulted in............

Ubuntu Brown

Comment

Working...
                X