X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aptosid? Anyone use this.

Hi,
    I am thinking about making my kubuntu system a dual boot with aptosid. I love Kubuntu but would also like to learn how to use other debian distros. I like that it is a rolling release and would like to try it. I tried the live cd and nothing is automaticly configured.(not even my wired internet connection!) It seems complicated but I know I can do it.

Any thoughts?

Penny

Re: Aptosid? Anyone use this.

Hi Penny.

Yep, I run aptosid on my desktop and a couple of netbooks that I have. I'm surprised to hear that the Live CD doesn't configure your hardware -- it's usually pretty good about that. Since this is Kubuntu forum, if you want to PM me, and show me the lspci -vv output on your computer, I'll see if I can be of any assistance.

Comment

dibl is running aptosid. He was running sidux before it morphed into aptosid. If you have a recent download of aptosid - 2010-03 "Ἀπάτη"

The one thing you have to get used to VERY QUICKLY using aptosid, is to READ THE MANUAL, which is installed - you don't need an Internet connection.

Getting connected to the Internet requires configuring your controller and interfaces - wired and wireless - following the instructions in the Manual under Getting online / How to configure the network with Ceni

The developers/moderators on the aptosid forum are sticklers about their Manual. If you ask questions on their forum that are addressed in the manual, you'll get admonished very quickly. If you have a thin skin, you won't survive there very long.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        The developers/moderators on the aptosid forum are sticklers about their Manual. If you ask questions on their forum that are addressed in the manual, you'll get admonished very quickly. If you have a thin skin, you won't survive there very long.
        Thanks for the warning. I took a peak at the forums and decided not to post their at all cause someone posted how they should have auto detection for hardware and was "politely" told to go look at ubuntu/kubuntu or mint! :-X

I have been running my computer from the live cd and used the manual to get my internet connection configured correctly but couldn't get my nvidia 8800 card drivers installed so I am gonna give it a rest for a couple of hours and get after it again.

All of this has me really happy with my kubuntu install. I just have a bad ocd problem when it comes to linux distros....I feel like I've gotta try em all.

Thanks,
        Penny

Comment

aptosid has one of the better manuals you will ever find, IMHO, and it does cover installation of the Nvidia proprietary driver, as well as other driver firmware and software. I had a GeForce 8800GTS some years ago, and it ran fine with sidux as well as Kubuntu, so I would encourage you to review that section of their manual, and see if you can follow it to install the driver. They advocate the "Debian Way" of installing the Nvidia driver, which has the advantage of continuing to work correctly after installation of a new kernel. But you can also use the #3 method shown here and get the same result, except it will have to be re-installed after a kernel upgrade:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

Comment

Hi,
            I did look at the manual for installing the nvidia driver but I kept having errors. I suppose it is because I am using the live cdI would have to post the errors but I am afraid to post them on aptosids boards cause it seems to be noob unfriendly. I find it to be a nice system and would like to be able to install drivers once and be done.... so the "debian way" is what I am shootin for. 8) I even tried to run the live cd in virtualbox but once the live cd was running it failed right when it came time to load the desktop with a guest utility failure. I figure that if I can run it in virtualbox and get used to it then the real install as a dual boot system would go better.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Penny

Comment

Hmmm. Yeah I'm not sure whether it is possible to install the proprietary drive into a Live CD session. In the proprietary driver there is a binary "blob" (machine code), and I think maybe that needs to go on a hard drive -- not sure, I've never tried it.

Did you observe the rule about checking the md5sum of your downloaded ISO, and the other rule about burning it slow (4X if you can, 8X if you can't)?

If you're reluctant to install it on a hard drive, you'll have a far better experience if you put it on a USB stick, than running the CD. The Live CD works fine, but so slow, compared to the real deal.

Comment

I ended up using sgfxi which is great for installing drivers. That is the best manual I have ever seen for any distro! I have learned so much in two days. I was going to go to the book store to purchase a book to help me learn commands but this manual has really shed some light. I am getting my geeky nerd fix. I really like both Kubuntu and Aptosid. When I get windows off of my system I will put aptosid in it's place next to kubuntu.

thanks,

Penny

Comment

+2 for what snowhog and dlbl said... you WILL have to "do some stuff" but IF you have read the manual and read the forums then they WILL help you but it is basically the developers so they are chary to answer one and all if it seems that they have not done their homework.

But...given that..I found Aptosid to be rock solid.

woodsmoke

Comment

I had a problem with a previous lite version image that included packages for both ix86 and amd, but the latest iso that just includes the x86 version worked like a charm and now I have a rock solid system like my LL 10.04.1. Other distros like OpenSuse or ArchLinux don't work as well as the other two, but I gotta admit that I may need to tune my AL box first but IDK how to do it hehehe.
                    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
                    X