Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to program an alternate to the Sys Rq Key?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to program an alternate to the Sys Rq Key?

Like most of us I occasionally use the SysRq + RSEIUB key sequence to reboot the machine if all else fails to get me a responsive system, but I now have a small problem. The keys on my six-year old Logitech di Novo keyboard got rather sticky and unreliable so I purchased a new keyboard - the Di Novo Edge - which is excellent - EXCEPT that when I ordered it, I did not realise that it has no SysRq key.

So, I need to program one of the function keys to call SysRq but I have no idea what routine or program the SysRq key calls when pressed. Can anybody enlighten my ignorance? Thanks.

Re: How to program an alternate to the Sys Rq Key?

I really doubt that the keyboard doens't have the required key. I won't disagree that it isn't identified - labled as such. On most keyboards (non-European at least) it's the Print Screen (PrtSc) key. Have you tried the magic sequence using that key?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

All I know about it is what I can read in the wiki. I suspect that the part where it says "... nothing is stored in the keyboard buffer" means that conventional key re-mapping / reassignment techniques aren't going to work.

Comment

Refer to Magic SysRq key and go down to Magic commands where it describes the 'alternate' keys depending on the keyboard layout.

Comment

Hi All, Thanks for suggestions! Tried 'em all. Still no luck here, but learning a lot!

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: How to program an alternate to the Sys Rq Key?

AH! Got it!! This keyboard doesn't seem to like too many keys being pressed at once (tip from the Wiki).
            I needed to hold down [ALT] and then sequentially press and release [Print Screen] between each letter press. On the previous keyboard I could hold down [ALT]+[PrintScreen] together and then press the RSEIUB sequence without releasing the [PrintScreen] key. That doesn't work now - the sequence needs to be separate key strokes. Maybe it's a radio keyboard thing?

Comment

Cool. Glad you got it figured out.

Comment

I think that must be a "transmitter" thing, ie. the radio keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                X