Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bait and switch hardware (and a 2.6.35 kernel)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bait and switch hardware (and a 2.6.35 kernel)

Wanted: 2.6.35 kernel with ath9k_htc driver.

I recently purchased a TP-Link TL-WN422G USB wireless dongle just to have an extra around. I researched it very carefully and decided on this one because it has a ZyDAS chipset which will utilise the zd1211rw driver.

The first one got lost in the mail and it took a month before I got a replacement. I plugged it into a laptop with Debian on it and which was already set up to do wireless and before I went to grab the appropriate driver off the net I did an "lsusb" to make sure it was recognized. Surprise!
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0cf3:1006 Atheros Communications, Inc. TP-Link
    TL-WN422G v2 802.11g [Atheros AR9271]
    That's an Atheros chipset! Anyway, undaunted I went to look for a driver. None to be found. After some hours on the net, I figure out what had happened. TP-Link had done a switcheroo. Same model number, same shell, different guts. I've seen this kind of thing before and am quite savvy to this con, but didn't know to expect it in this case. A classic example of this kind of unsavoury behaviour is when Linksys decided to cut the memory in half on the WRT54G without changing the model number. Many people were upset, so Linksys solved the problem by re-issuing the old model and doubling the price. Simple fix.

[rant]
    It should be illegal! Imagine buying a Rolls Royce because you like big engines, and it arrives with a 1200cc Suzuki engine. Same body, same model number. Is that OK? I don't think so. That would be a scam. Electronics marketers obviously think differently.
    [/rant]

Anyway, (composes self) after a couple of hours on the net I am much wiser and learnt, amont other things, that there are now two versions of the TL-WN422G, and I will now be looking for a driver for an Atheros AR9271 chipset. The good news is that some people are right on it and the new driver bears the very catchy name of ath9k_htc. The bad news is that it is not in the kernel, and won't be until 2.6.35. The even worse news is that I can't find any such kernel anywhere.

I was hoping for a Debian kernel for this particular laptop, but I'll take anything at this point. It seems that Debian does not provide kernels beyond the current one. Kernel.org is the same. All they do is give you sources and you have to compile your own. That led to the next part of my adventure.

I downloaded the sources and tried this for the first time. I warn anybody who tries this that it is a complicated procedure, and a CPU intensive one. On the laptop in question it ran an 85-95% CPU load for about 24 hours. At the end it just unceremoniously gave me a couple of errors. Is that funny! Now what do I do? Any suggestions? There are lots of kernel compilation how-to's out there. They are all long and complicated. I don't know why someone hasn't made a script (or have they?) or made pre-compiled kernels available. Certainly in my case there is nothing special needed. I just want a kernel with the right driver.

If anybody knows where I can get a 2.6.35 kernel (any distro) or standalone ath9k_htc driver, please contact Ole at here.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Re: Bait and switch hardware (and a 2.6.35 kernel)

Ole, if you tell me how to discover all the available modules in a kernel, I'll check this 2.6.36-1 Debian Sid kernel that I'm running at the moment.

Or, make yourself an aptosid Live CD and check it yourself. The Live CD is a 2.6.35 kernel (there have been subsequent updates).

Comment

Isn't maveric using 2.6.35?

here's a backport ppa...

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/kernel-ppa?dist=lucid

Please Read Me

Comment

My Maverick system is 2.6.35-23

Comment

@dibl:
          AFAIK, the command is "modprobe ath9k". Thanks for the offer. I might just try a live aptosid CD anyway. You've mentioned it a couple of times and it has tweaked my interest.

@oshunluvr and Detonate:
          That's interesting. I'll look to see if there is a Ubuntu Server version of Maverick. That would be just the ticket for this laptop.

Some more (lots and lots) searching and it is looking like the driver may be in 2.6.32 or maybe even earlier. It is hard to get any facts on this sort of thing. Surprisingly it is also hard to find out what kernel various distributions use. Presumably such information is too esoteric to be of interest to people.

However, I just found that there is information on the Ubuntu site about Maverick beta. It's all greyed out so it's hard to read, but I did find out that it contains the 2.6.35 kernel. As I write this, I am downloading the server edition. I am also upgrading the current Debian 5.0 install, but that is taking so long that I fear it will be another 24 hours, so probably I'll just install Ubuntu since that only takes a few minutes - even on such a low resource machine.

It looks like my options are opening up. All will be well in the end.

So, at this point it is a race! Will Debian finish upgrading before Ubuntu Server finishes downloading and I burn a CD? Debian has at least an hour's head start, and Ubuntu is saying 1 hour and 20 minutes to go. This is exciting!

Comment

Disaster. . .

Ubuntu won, but since Debian was close, I let it finish the upgrade. Debian Squeeze, I think it's called now. It's a little rough, but it works. However, no driver. So I wrote the Ubuntu Server 10.10 disk and popped in the lappy.

First check the disk. OK. Reboot, chose language etc. OK ... we're on our way! Yes? . . . No. It just results in a black screen and does not proceed with the installation. I tried it twice.

Two down.

@dibl
            Yes please, have a look at your kernel. Perhaps I can transplant that somehow. And, for the record, the correct command to see if it has the right driver is:

Code:
            lsmod |grep ath9k_htc
            I'll download the Aptosid CD and see. One problem with desktop software is that it won't go on this laptokp. It's a PII-266 with 128MB ram. It runs Debian just fine but the mega systems are not going to go because their installers won't accept 1.8GB hard drive space. Debian takes about 700MB. Perhaps even Ubuntu Server has moved out of range.

Comment

Code:
              root@tosh205:/home/don# lsmod | grep ath9k_htc
              root@tosh205:/home/don# lsmod | grep ath9k
              ath9k         72204 0 
              mac80211       175128 1 ath9k
              ath9k_common       3268 1 ath9k
              ath9k_hw       271805 2 ath9k,ath9k_common
              ath           6862 2 ath9k,ath9k_hw
              cfg80211       124053 3 ath9k,mac80211,ath
              led_class        1755 1 ath9k
              Bummer.

Comment

Hey! Are you up late or early? I'm up late.

Thanks for checking - I appreciate that. I've been looking at distrowatch for ideas. I think the only idea that's going to work, is for me to learn how to compile a kernel on a faster machine and then move it over. However, that seems like such a huge learning curve just to test a $16 toy which I didn't really need in the first place. I'm an idiot. lol The other choice is to wait for Debian to come out with a new kernel, but I might not live that long.

Comment

The ath9k_htc module is included with Maverick 10.10 as a loadable module.
                  paul@myotherbrain:~$ locate ath9k_htc
                  /lib/modules/2.6.35-23-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k_htc.ko
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks snowhog. That is very informative. I'm first going to see about getting a module into Debian, since it is generally more suited to small systems and command line use. However, now I know that if I can somehow get Maverick on there, I will have the wireless thingie working. Too bad the Ubuntu Server wouldn't install, but there is probably some way around that if I put my head to it.

Comment

Yep, it's available as loadable module on Debian Sid also -- I just checked (yeah, Ole, I've been catching up on sleep .... ).

BTW, I saw a note on a forum that the Debian 2.6.37rc kernel has been made available to those who care about such things. So it may not be too long before it gets released.

Comment

I wish I knew how to get hold of a copy of Sid. That would be perfect. I've spent the best part of two days trying to figure out how to get a new version (unstable or not, no matter) but the best I've been able to figure out is how to upgrade Lenny to Squeeze. I don't think it is possible to compile a kernel on this laptop so I need an outside source, which I haven't found yet. One day ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                          I wish I knew how to get hold of a copy of Sid.

Code:
                          deb [url]http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/[/url] unstable main contrib non-free

But, I don't believe you get a kernel there. The current aptosid kernel, compiled by slh, is at

Code:
                          deb [url]http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/[/url] unstable main contrib non-free

Comment

Working...
                          X