X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book: Build your own PC

@Detonate:
    I'm not that wise. However, I hear a lot of talk about thermal compounds and it seems to be the same words repeated everywhere. Hard facts like the difference in functionality between using it and not using it are generally not talked about. What I do hear is comparisons of different products. Hmm, does that ring a bell?

The theory is simple and straightforward. Using some kind of filler for the microscopic gaps is sensible. As is using something which can tolerate the relevant temperature and not change characteristics (dry out) over time. Still, how does toothpaste work? How about Vegemite? See here for a comparison.

Agreeing that using thermal paste of some kind is a good idea, I nevertheless would point out one of the major conclusions of a fairly extensive benchmark review:
    You see, even with a heavy overclock on the most modern processor there just isn't enough heat produced to create a clearly evident divide between products.
    @dibl:
    I just suggested a thermocouple because I wasn't thinking. Yes, the built-in one is probably good enough. One can put one in the heatsink, but under the CPU is better. The logistics vary. Anyway, I guess it depends on how scientific one wants to get. The built in one may or may not be reliable, but my guess is that it would definitely be good for comparison purposes. To take advantage of that, however, one would have to actually compare different things, which is what I was thinking about.

@woodsmoke:
    No knotted pine here. It is rough boards such as they made in the "wild west". This lumber is local and from 1911 when the town (and my "house") was built. A few random pics here, including ANA and SCO - my most used computers.

Comment

Hi
      As to the copper circles "grounding" things I will:

a) refer to the above posts.

If one can take a mobo and put it on a plywood sheet and it will work, then the "copper circles" are, obviously not attached to the case so the screw that is not there cannot ground the mobo to the case that is not there and the system still works.

b) refer the reader to the new, and yucchy plastic standoffs.

If a system will work with a NONmetal, plastic, standoff, then just what is being "grounded" by the copper ring through the non-conductive plastic standoff?

The copper rings are isoalted in a fiberglass and epoxy matrix that we call the motherboard, there are no wires connecting the copper circles to other parts of the electrical system.

If one thinks of it, logically, the "system" is "grounded" through the three prong plug that is attached to the power supply and....the mobo..

And I'm not wanting to get into an "argument" about this. On the net there are hundreds of posts saying that standoffs are grounds and an equal number that say they are not. One should just think about things logically.

OLE JULE

I am SOOOO Jealous!!! I love that room!!!! and the stacked towers!!! lol great way to test distros!!

woodsmoke

Comment

Some things require a better ground path than others and a situation where it is required does not always come up. It is good practice to have a good ground path directly to a metal case, but (from experience) things work fine without. There is, after all, a decent ground path through the ground wires in the power connectors.

Another aspect of grounding is radiation. From a commercial point of view, the manufacturer has to guarantee a certain minimal amount of radiation. This is easily achieved by having a metal case which is grounded. Put an AM radio next to an open computer case and you will see just how much there is. This is not dangerous or even troublesome in most environments, so it is not a worry for someone like a computer hobbyist who does not need certification.

Those plastic connectors are the original PC spec and are in fact the kind in my 5150 (IBM PC) from 1981. I've seen them used a lot back then. They were also standard on the XT and subsequent AT. My newer boards, including an Intel from this year, have only screws. I like the screws, but it is certainly handy to just pop in a board and one use one one or two screws.

There is a lot of talk which is not based on either experience or actual physical performance when it comes to technical matters. The manufacturers tend to quote best practices in order to cover their a**. That is the right thing for them to do, but one has to understand that best practices is not the whole story. They also encourage people to spend money, get a professional, etc etc.

I remember all the talk about cooling and proper circulation in the early PCs. According to IBM, you were supposed to only operate them in a case so that the air could be drawn over the processor in the proper manner by the power supply fan. In 2010 this looks utterly ridiculous. Those early (8088, NEC v20 etc) processors barely got warm and it is obvious nowadays that you can operate them openly under the noon sun. I find it interesting just how much "technology" carries emotional content. From fire to the wheel to quad core, we consider it magic and subsequently apply rules of magic.

woodsmoke: "I am SOOOO Jealous!!!"
        Thanks (blush)

- Ole

Comment

Some day my wife and I hope to combine our two hobbies into building a super-awesome pc... she likes working with stained glass and I of course love the hardware building, so together we could make a pretty sweet build... just need more time That and this stupid piece of junk linux box that I threw together out of spare parts won't become obsolete or ever crash... HOW CAN I CONVINCE *HER THAT I NEED TO BUILD A NEW MACHINE WHEN MY SINGLE CORE, 1 GB RAM LINUX BOX RUNS CIRCLES AROUND HER ~NEW WINDOWS LAPTOP!?!??!?!?!?!??!?! Dang it, I knew reading this thread would have me drooling over a new build...

(*she really wouldn't mind)

Comment

@ woodsmoke

many thanks for those pictures - I have a sculptor round the corner here and I might just cruise over this am to throw an idea or two his way.

I have recently moved to Berlin and am absolutely certain that people here are dying to be "special" AND are willing to pay cash to gain this privilege. All I have to do is make it possible for them to give it to me

Off to google to check some piccies...
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

good luck
              woodsmoke

Comment

@toad:
                I guess you've seen this site. He also has stained glass and other models, as well as good instructions for a very pretty model M mod. And of course there's lots of versions of the wooden PC. Endless possibilities!

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                  @toad:
                  I guess you've seen this site. He also has stained glass and other models, as well as good instructions for a very pretty model M mod. And of course there's lots of versions of the wooden PC. Endless possibilities!
                  That wooden pc site was amassing. I got a little carried away and read some of the comments. It always seems to come up with wood - heat issue or catching fire nonsense. If there is any heat related issues then would also effect plastic.
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

Yes, those computers are something else. I was thinking more of the raw industrial look (i.e. a LOT less work )

As for heat issues - I was going to have mine open, so I wonder whether a decent heat exchanger on top of the CPU would obliterate the need for a noisy fan. Got to try it out...
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

My wife's hobby is ceramics. She is pretty good at it. She is the instructor at the local fully equipped senior center ceramics shop. Now you have me thinking.....

Comment

Working...
                      X