Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win7 establishes a LOCK-IN with SD cards.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Win7 establishes a LOCK-IN with SD cards.

Originally posted by woodsmoke

Just my humble, like Uriah Heep....huuuummmble opinion! lol
    It's a good opinion -- I agree. If I live to be 200, I'll never forget the day my Win XP reinstallation (100% legal) failed, and upon calling 1-800-you'rescrewed, and waiting a very long time on the phone, I was interrogated about how many hard drives were in my new system, and informed that if I intended to use more than 2 hard drives, I was obliged to buy a "server license", blah blah blah blah, and then I was granted a new activation number, good for one time only. That was the day I resolved to investigate Linux, and see whether it offered any relief from the MS control regime.

I don't hate Microsoft - I reserve that level of passion for individual humans. I think Microsoft behaves rationally (or tries to), for maximization of shareholder value. I behave rationally, too, for maximization of my own life's value.

Comment

Yes, I ran into that "Server Edition" roadblock also. Won't go into details, but it was a major problem for me.

Comment

Had I actually needed a server license, i.e. had I installed more than two hard drives on the computer, I probably would have paid for it. But I hadn't -- they committed the cardinal sin of wasting my time, plus the further insult of questioning my integrity. Thus they created an ex-customer*.

*OK, I still use their excellent little virus-detector for a few selected purposes, but not for main productivity.

Comment

I changed my mind. I will go into details about how M$ treated me on the server edition issue. As some of you know, I volunteer as the Technology Coordinator for the AARP Tax Assistance Program in my area, Northern Colorado. This program provides free tax preparation and efiling service. At this time we ar running XP on all of the computers used in the program, these are older laptops. One of our other sites, not in my area but in another part of Colorado, needed to have the ability to network more than 10 computers. Can't be done in XP. XP Pro only allows 10 simultaneous connections. To get more than that, you have to have The server edition. Not only do you have to buy the server edition, but you must buy a license for each workstation. Needless to say, but the cost was completely out of range for this program, which does not have the resources for such a huge expense. We're talking thousands of dollars. I wasted a month of my time trying to figure out a work around using linux, but as there is not linux edition of the software this program uses, I was unable to do so. This problem has been somewhat alleviated in my area as the software providers now have an online edition that is accessible from any computer with an internet connection. It requires IE and ActiveX and .net but we can live with that. In the other area, the one that needed more than ten connections, they resolved that problem by upgrading to W7, which allows 20 connections.

Comment

lol lotsa stories!
            I decided to change to Linux the week that I went onto high speed cable internet. Prior to that I had been on a dialup and the first time I fired up the high speed I got a gray box warning me about a "male enhancement" product that was trying to put what i was later to find out was "malware" on the computer. I immediately shut down and called the cable internet division and the guy actually:

a) laughed and said, that is MS trying to see how many people will panic over this stuff and maybe try out some kind of firewall etc. There was not actually anything on the machine it was a test to see if I would click the button.....which most people did...
            b) he then said to download MyIE5 which was an older version of IE that none of the malware people bothered with anymore and that...

was what the cable help people used! WHAT?! lol

I then dld IE and did the symantec thing and was so ...... irritated by that piece of drek that i ended up at Castle Cops and was introduced to the various free firewalls etc. and also found the Linux thread and that was all she wrote as they say!

I don't mind MS products, I just detest their predatory practices.

just my opinion mind you! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Per scripture: 1 Tim 6:10-12 (NIV) "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

As any corporate entity is about maximizing the accumulation of 'money', and M$ is really into accumulating as much money as it can, credence to the view that M$ is 'evil' has a lot of merit!
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X