Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On Unity, Wayland will replace the X server (and Xorg)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Unity, Wayland will replace the X server (and Xorg)

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551

The next major transition for Unity will be to deliver it on Wayland, the OpenGL-based display management system. We’d like to embrace Wayland early, as much of the work we’re doing on uTouch and other input systems will be relevant for Wayland and it’s an area we can make a useful contribution to the project.

We’re confident we’ll be able to retain the ability to run X applications in a compatibility mode, so this is not a transition that needs to reset the world of desktop free software. Nor is it a transition everyone needs to make at the same time: for the same reason we’ll keep investing in the 2D experience on Ubuntu despite also believing that Unity, with all it’s GL dependencies, is the best interface for the desktop. We’ll help GNOME and KDE with the transition, there’s no reason for them not to be there on day one either.

Timeframes are difficult. I’m sure we could deliver *something* in six months, but I think a year is more realistic for the first images that will be widely useful in our community. I’d love to be proven conservative on that :-) but I suspect it’s more likely to err the other way. It might take four or more years to really move the ecosystem. Progress on Wayland itself is sufficient for me to be confident that no other initiative could outrun it, especially if we deliver things like Unity and uTouch with it. And also if we make an early public statement in support of the project. Which this is!
    I don't know how this will fair for Kubuntu, or any other spin-off that doesn't use Unity as their DE.
    BUT, the Wayland website has an interesting explanation of how Wayland will work, with or without X, and a nice set of screen shots that feature Qt! 8)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: On Unity, Wayland will replace the X server (and Xorg)

Well, it might work- if not, I'll probably use Fedora KDE--or if LMDE goes 64bit...
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

When I was looking at the screenys I began to think this was all a big joke.

I see an ocean of pretty green! WHERE .... lol........is the brown!?

But then I got to the VTE terminal indicator and was greatly reassured that this is, yes indeedy, Ubu! lol

woodsmoke

Comment

So many things are changing, hardware and software, the next couple of years are going to be very interesting, and will involve some learning curves for all of us.

Comment

I agree, Detonate!

I'll wager that the next 5 years will produce more changes in the digital environment (i am avoiding saying "computer") than the previous 25 years.

More widespread use of touch screens or even the introduction of 3D screens.
          Free Fewer actual HDs and more SSDs of bigger and faster capacity,
          More powerful batteries that will allow what ever passes for a PC play for a week on a single charge.
          Constant 3G internet connection just about anywhere in the northern hemisphere, including satellite links.. People in constant contact with just about anything they want to know...
          Video phones connections to just about anyone, anywhere between digital assistants.

Or, if we don't get our alternate energy solutions in place before our oil becomes too expensive to use for the common folk, a large reduction in the number of world wide Internet servers, and PCs.

Lot's of change coming ... don't know how much hope, though.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm afraid some of it will leave this old guy behind. Heck I don't even have USB 3.0 yet. I just got HDTV this week and I don't even have a HD set. Fixing that soon.

Comment

"Develop it, build it, and stop support for the 'old stuff', and they will (have to) buy it." :P
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                "Develop it, build it, and stop support for the 'old stuff', and they will (have to) buy it." :P
                lolz.. yes indeed! thats what happened with windoze 7.

@Detonate: if you happen to get the sound "out" of laptop hdmi port and "in" to HDTV please post a note in "how to".
                I am trying out many suggestion posted on net.. but still could not get it. will start a thread if i can't get the sound working.
                asus A52N
                Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

What makes you think my laptop is new enough to even have a HDMI port?

Comment

Working...
                  X