• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Unity Desktop in Ubuntu

Add these 3 to your standard 10.10 repos, and you're good to go:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu maverick main
    #deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu maverick main

deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ maverick free non-free #Medibuntu - Ubuntu 10.10 "maverick meerkat"
    # deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ maverick free non-free #Medibuntu (source) - Ubuntu 10.10 "maverick meerkat"

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/sun-java-co...n-java6/ubuntu maverick main
    #deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/sun-java-co...n-java6/ubuntu maverick main

Comment

I've already got those. I thought there might be some specific to KDE. Oh,, now I see the first one is kubuntu specific.

Thanks.

Comment

Check this. Not sure what it means.

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4346

Comment

I take it the reference to using "plasma" indicates irony in the "dropping KDE" comment.

Comment

Not very well worded in my opinion. Very Confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
              Not very well worded in my opinion. Very Confusing.
              It's just adding a bit of humorous shock value to the post...to make you go "WHAT?" (geeks tend to love that sort of thing )

What they basically did, is changing the KDE session string (visible in kdm session list) to be inline with the new KDE rebranding that's been in effect for a while:
              The Desktop isn't "KDE" anymore, it's "KDE Plasma Workspace"

Comment

Ahhhh.

Comment

I fell in love with Compiz because of teaching online, it significantly reduced my time moving between four different apps when interacting with a student and I am now going to see if the Plasma desktop will help in that respect, but....

THIS is what caught my eye..............I guess I'm behind the times:

Shuttleworth added that Dell, which he said had sold several million Ubuntu desktops, laptops, and netbooks, supports the project.

And, probably two months ago, when I was at Office Depot they had a Win7 lappy with touch screen on it as a featured lappy.
                  woodsmoke

Comment

OK, unwilling to wait to check this thing out I issued the command [sudo apt-get install unity] in my Maverick and I'm now playing with the Unity Desktop. It's kind of cool. Check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                      OK, unwilling to wait to check this thing out I issued the command [sudo apt-get install unity] in my Maverick and I'm now playing with the Unity Desktop. It's kind of cool. Check it out.
                      I am running Maverick on vbox. I installed unity via synaptic but when I open the login option all I see are KDE, Gnome desktop, Gnome netbook, and the failsafes. No "Unity" listed. Everything but KDE gives me Gnome.

I'm using kdm. Do I have to switch to gdm?
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Choose Netbook.

Comment

I did. It didn't look any different than the Gnome Desktop. I suspect it is checking the memory and since I allocated more than 1GB to the virtual RAM it triggers the desktop and not Unity.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Maybe so. I'm not running it in a VM. It loaded fine for me, but I did install it from my Gnome install.

Comment

I installed and tried unity. It does not work under kdm; just freezes. It need to be run with gdm.

CTRL-ALT-F1
                              (login)
                              sudo service kdm stop
                              sudo service gdm start

For session type, choose gnome-netbook
                              Looks nice, but kind of lame for a large hi-res monitor. Might look great on a laptop or netbook. It does seem to be using my gnome theme.

FYI - to add a session type to kdm:
                              cd /usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/sessions

create a file whatever.desktop like this:

Code:
                              [Desktop Entry]
                              Type=XSession
                              Exec=whatever
                              TryExec=whatever
                              Name=Whatever
                              Comment=The Whatever desktop.
                              where "whatever" is started with /usr/bin/whatever

so for unity, just replace all instances of "whatever" with "unity"

but don't do it, as I said, unity just crashes under kdm.
                              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Things didn't work that way in VBox Maverick.
                                gdm wasn't installed so I had to install it.

CTRL-ALT-F1 is trapped by the host before the guest can see it so the host breaks into a console, not the guest. Opening a Konsole and issuing
                                sudo service kdm stop
                                kills KDE and gives a console.
                                sudo service gdm start
                                causes Gnome to start.
                                But, Gnome's login screen doesn't have a control which allows another DE to be selected.
                                Opening a Konsole and running sudo gdmsetup doesn't work because it binds to user "nobody", not root, and everything on the dialog is disabled.
                                In a Gnome konsole I can use sudo service kdm start and reboot and the gnome login starts KDE.

From it I opened a Konsole and removed gdm and unity, and after they were removed I used sudo apt-get autoremove to remove all dependencies.

I have KDE4's desktop back.

I may try a Unity LiveCD, but I certainly won't try to activate Unity in a Maverick guest OS.

Comment

Working...
                                X