This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day one experience with Maverick Meerkat

Well, today after reading the release notes I decided to try and install the new Kubuntu version, 10.10 Maverick Meerkat.

My PC stills the same except for the graphic card: Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1.5GB RAM DDR, IDE Hard Drive, onboard sound and ethernet, Nvidia 7600 GS. It is a desktop PC.

I just tried what I usually use and everything is working great. Didn't need to install proprietary drivers for the GPU since the default one works great and I can use desktop effects. Tried for the first time the new package manager (not default on Kubuntu), Muon, and it is really great so I've switched from Synaptic to Muon. I also like the new KDE SC 4.5 very much. Everything is fast and responsive on my system and I want to thank all the people who worked on this version of Kubuntu and all the people who work in the free open source software in general for all their hard work (and by "work" I mean everyone, not only the developers). Thank You

I hope everyone's else experience is as good as mine with this new Kubuntu version.

Have a nice day

Re: Day one experience with Maverick Meerkat

Same thing here! All my computers at home (one AMD/ATI-64 desktop, one Intel-64 laptop and one Intel 32 netbook) have been upgraded to meerkat around the beta release, with only one serious glitch (a bug in GRUB), and they have been running just fine. I contributed to the occasional bug report along the way.

The only thing I would add to your notes is that the beta version of flash for 64 bit (available in a ppa) has been incredibly unstable, so I reverted to the 32 bit default one.

Great release all in all. All my computers are a lot more responsive than my computer at work, which happens to be a high end Xeon Quad (virtual processors) running Windows XP. It's a good day to be a Linux user!

Comment

Things are running well on my end.

Converted the Desktop, notebook, and kids computer to 10.10.

Kids computer got the upgrade from 10.04, while the other two computers were fresh installs.

So far everything that worked in 10.04 is working in 10.10.

My desktop that dual boots Win7 and my Kubuntu notebook both connected to a network printer on a windows computer. I was pleased that the Kubuntu notebook completed the printer setup (and printed a test page) in half the time the Win7 computer did.

Comment

Though I am a Muon fan myself, do give the updated KPackageKit a try. It is vastly superior feature-wise and in bug-fixes. Also, The application-centric interface is currently only available in Kubuntu I have not yet had it fail on me so far - it even has debconf dialogs now
        Attached Files

Comment

Does it now handle package dependencies? If not, then it still isn't a suitable full-fledged package manager.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            Does it now handle package dependencies? If not, then it still isn't a suitable full-fledged package manager.
            Huh? when did it not?

Comment

Dependency handling - the lack of - in KPackageKit was a common complaint in bug reports filed. That it didn't was confirmed. This is why I (and others) 'put down' KPackageKit and recommended using the CLI apt-get install dist-upgrade and/or installing Synaptic, and recently, Muon and using them instead.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

other than situations involving errors (ppa maladies, broken/missing deps/etc) or ones involving user input/configuration/etc, it has always handled dependencies .

not that I am saying it was the Bee's Knees or anything - it was useable, but not always. This version is miles ahead.
                Attached Files

Comment

although, try uninstalling libqapt1 (muon's backend library) in kpk and see not only what is removed (as expected - those bits use libqapt), but some of the things it wants to install afterwards.............

(unless this is unique to my system)

Comment

Working...
                  X