Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Canonical forcing the use of GMail and Yahoo mail?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Canonical forcing the use of GMail and Yahoo mail?

Thunderbird is my default email program. For years the File --> Send Link allowed me to use Thunderbird to send the URL of a page as the email content, and the title in the subject line. Since the most recent update to FireFox 3.6.10 I found that "Send Link" no longer worked, even though the "Applications --> mailto" was set to "Thunderbird (default)". When I changed it to GMail (I don't have an account Yahoo mail) the "Send Link" worked. The "Thunderbird (default)" setting which had been selected on all prior versions of FireFox no longer works. Neither does using "Other" and pointing it to the thunderbird link, the sh shell the link was pointing to or the bin file the shell ran. No setting changes in prefs.js or users.js would cause FF "Send Link" to use TB.

Using "about:config" and creating the network.protocol-handler.app.mailto string and setting to "/usr/bin/thunderbird" or the other possibilities did not work, either. I also have KMail set up as well, but I suspect that it will not work either.

I can use GMail with "send link" and, fortunately all my contacts are also in GMail, but GMail is not as easy to use as Thunderbird and my main use for GMail is for spam filtering and website registration. I also want my emails kept and stored locally, because sooner or later Google is going to start charging for each GB of email archives I have on their service.

<soapbox>
    I hope I am misunderstanding what is happening here, but IF Canonical is trying to force me to GMail and Chrome, and away from FireFox they may end up forcing me away from Canonical instead because it is antithetical to Linux to take away choice & control from the user. It's one thing if I do not have the knowledge or skill to chose or control. It is another thing entirely that my skills and options are negated by someone who thinks they know better than I what I want, what I need, and what I want to do.
    </soapbox>

Konqueror is not, IMO, as good as FF, but I didn't leave MS just to get locked into another corporation.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Is Canonical forcing the use of GMail and Yahoo mail?

I don't use TB - Kmail is my choice - but the File > Send Link... in FF (3.6.10 here as well) opens a new email in KMail properly.

In about:config take a look at:

gecko.handlerService.schemes.mailto.0.name
    and
    gecko.handlerService.schemes.mailto.1.name

This is where Yahoo! Mail and Gmail are identified
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I don't think this is some suspicious ubuntu thing.

On my maveric I had the choice between evolution (standard), gmail, yahoomail and "other".

I set "other" to /usr/bin/thunderbird on both FF3.6.12pre and FF4.0b8pre and "send link" works without fail with TB.

I'll check my lucid again but I am pretty sure I have the same setup there as well.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Mine is working perfectly. Mailto links work correctly in FF 3.6.10 and in Chromium. I have TB set as the preferred app for mail in my system settings. Maverick.

Comment

I've tried all the things you guys have mentioned, and several other options on the Internet and at the FF support site, but to no avail. My FF was always set to "FireFox (default)" and always worked until the most recent update. Now, only GMail and KMail works. I am glad that my experience didn't indicate a "forcing" on the choice of email clients. I will remove and reinstall FF and see if that helps.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Just a thought but is it possible that it is because they both use POP?

Gmail and POP

Yahoo and POP

woodsmoke

Comment

POP was used before the upgrade and Thunderbird worked.

It's not a concern for me any more. I used to use KMail for years and switched to Thunderbird a couple years ago. I've switched back to KMail and am pleased with it in KDE 4.5

Comment

Working...
              X