This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is UNIX a 'Programing Language'?

My teacher says the answer is, UNIX; but I refuse to call UNIX a 'Programing Language'
    HTML
    0%
    Linux
    0%
    C++
    0%
    UNIX
    0%
    Registered Linux User 545823

Re: Is UNIX a 'Programing Language'?

I don't have a Mac, but I know the OS is based off of BSD. As far as Unix being a programming language, its not. Its an operating system.
    There are programs that run on top of Unix that are programing languages, specifically 'C', which is how Unix was created.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

I'm not a programmer, but even I know that UNIX is written in C - not to be confused with the C shell. Presumably there would also be some snippets of assembler. The Wikipedia article is a nice introduction to UNIX history, and if you do a net search on "unix written in C" (or almost anything else related to UNIX) you will find lots of links to educate your teacher. Perhaps it's time for your teacher to get an internet subscription and learn to use a search engine.

Comment

jpenguin,
        Being "taught" by a teacher who does not know the subject matter is worse than being self-taught.

Your next step is to RUN, do not walk, RUN to your admin office and drop that class to get away from that teacher. If his/her level of understanding is that poor you have nothing of value to learn from that class and you will avoid a lot of disinformation and confusion.

Here is where Apple's OS X came from: http://www.opensource.apple.com/. A link on that page states:
        Darwin Technologies
        Beneath the easy-to-use interface of Mac OS X is a rock-solid, UNIX foundation.
        and it leads to http://developer.apple.com/library/m...echnology.html
        Beneath the appealing, easy-to-use interface of Mac OS X is a rock-solid, UNIX-based foundation that is engineered for stability, reliability, and performance. The kernel environment is built on top of Mach 3.0 and provides high-performance networking facilities and support for multiple, integrated file systems.

The following sections describe some of the key features of the kernel and driver portions of Darwin. For pointers to more information about the kernel environment, see Getting Started with Darwin.
        Mach
        Mach is at the heart of Darwin because it provides some of the most critical functions of the operating system.
        Integrated with Darwin is a customized version of the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) operating system (currently FreeBSD 5). Darwin’s implementation of BSD includes much of the POSIX API, which higher-level applications can also use to implement basic application features. BSD serves as the basis for the file systems and networking facilities of Mac OS X.
        The Wikipedia puts it this way:
        Darwin (operating system)
        Company / developer Apple Inc.
        Programmed in C, C++
        OS family Unix (OS means Operating System)

Darwin is an open source POSIX-compliant computer operating system released by Apple Inc. in 2000. It is composed of code developed by Apple, as well as code derived from NeXTSTEP, BSD, and other free software projects.

Darwin forms the core set of components upon which Mac OS X, ... are based. It is compatible with the Single UNIX Specification version 3 (SUSv3) and POSIX UNIX applications and utilities.[2][3]
        Send your teacher to this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix, which includes a map of Unix and unix based Operating Systems through 2007,

and to this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X