This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OpenOffice FORKED!

Never had customizations, so everything here is OK and just used CALC with no issues. So if you have just a vanilla install of OOo then LOo seems to be great as is in Beta.

Comment

Like dibl, I'll keep using the old version for a while. I don't see any harm in that, but I am glad to see the Foundation is fulfilling its charter.

BTW, the elReg article has some funny comments:
      Oracle, meanwhile, has been humiliatingly invited to re-join the OpenOffice community by applying to the Foundation. It's also been asked to donate the OpenOffice.org brand that it owns to the community.
      Until there's a decision from Oracle the OpenOffice.org suite will be retain the LibreOffice name. Based on Oracle's history of responding to community ultimatums, we suggest you get used to LibreOffice.
      The fact Oracle's been invited to join can only be seen as cutting Oracle out of the action, as the company isn't a joiner - as the OpenSolaris community recently found out.

Comment

Thanks for that

I'll keep my normal urge to unnecessarily fix things at bay on this one and wait till they've properly got their act together.

This is a very interesting development .

Comment

Is canonical going to try and squeeze this into the release of 10.10 in a couple of weeks? Or just wait until 11.04 comes around?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            What Dibl says... (I seem to be writing that a lot, lately! I think in real life he must be a stem cell researcher
            Ha! Well, GG, I certainly fooled you!

But thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
              Is canonical going to try and squeeze this into the release of 10.10 in a couple of weeks? Or just wait until 11.04 comes around?
              All new programs for Maverick have been frozen, but read this on future releases.
              Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                Originally posted by Detonate
                That's true now. But the time is approaching when a reliable internet connection will always be available. People with Verizon 3G here in the US are very close to that point now.
                Their towers are just half of the connection. If you are in a shadow (geographical, snow, rain, etc) or a catastrophe occurs which blocks or drops their signal you are out of luck. Verizon's signal is strong along I80 and in Omaha, Lincoln, Grand Island, etc... but get a few miles away from that and your uptimes aren't nearly so good.

My attitude is hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
                What if the user is a writer and does NOT want to stay online because it disturbs him or her? Maybe the writer needs to go to a very lonely place to concentrate on writing the book... He or she would need to be able to work with some desktop office suit like LibreOffice. Not only writers would need this, students would also need it, too.
                Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

The project also has the support of the Free Software Foundation's Richard Stallman, who voiced approval of the mission statement of only recommending free software. Meeks also says that Debian and other projects plan to ship LibreOffice, and the Mac OS X project NeoOffice will be rebasing on LibreOffice.
                  http://www.linux.com/component/conte...tion-announced

this is good news
                  Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                    I've looked around and noted that at this point only the US edition seems to be available.

Is there any merit in Brits like me getting the new version at this stage do you think? Also, for those who have done it, if I were to remove OOo and install LOo, would it pick up my OOo customisations (autotext etc- basically the stuff in my OOo user file) or is there an element of faffing about? I don't mind if there is, so long as I know in advance
                    It does not automatically copy openoffice settings, but you can jut copy .openoffice/3/ to .libreoffice/3 and you will get all your settings.

Comment

Working...
                    X