• Show
Clear All

Re: OpenOffice FORKED!

Amongst other things, yes.

Now here is an interesting coincidence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper

Comment

I think that the days of huge office suites are numbered anyway. My needs are simple. I have been using Google Docs for most of my work for some time now.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
        I think that the days of huge office suites are numbered anyway. My needs are simple. I have been using Google Docs for most of my work for some time now.
        +1

but since google and canonical both backing this.. i would not be surprised if this becomes a fav office suit for windows and linux both.
        asus A52N
        Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
        AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
        windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

I was having trouble installing this in my 64-bit Lucid system - trying to install the various debs from the gk zipped file. Fortunately I saw the entry from GreyGeek (above) :-

In exploring the unpacked deb packages I noticed a subdirectory, "en-US/desktop-integration/" (my eyes are getting bad! Sad ) and when I cd to that directory and issued "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" I found, upon completion, a full set of menu options in the "Office" menu!

I followed his instructions and, Hey Presto!, fully working LibreOffice.

Thank Goodnes this fork has occurred; hopefully more people will sign the petition and donate some money too, I did, I think sometimes we should be prepared to contribute.

Comment

I'm not so sure.

I don't always work on line. I can use LOo even when the internet is not connected. If Google Docs works offline then it can only do that if an executable or markup code has been downloaded, and in that case there is little difference between office suits and GD. IF it CAN'T work offline then your laptop is a brick until you get a connection.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That's true now. But the time is approaching when a reliable internet connection will always be available. People with Verizon 3G here in the US are very close to that point now.

Comment

That's true now. But the time is approaching when a reliable internet connection will always be available. People with Verizon 3G here in the US are very close to that point now.
                Their towers are just half of the connection. If you are in a shadow (geographical, snow, rain, etc) or a catastrophe occurs which blocks or drops their signal you are out of luck. Verizon's signal is strong along I80 and in Omaha, Lincoln, Grand Island, etc... but get a few miles away from that and your uptimes aren't nearly so good.

My attitude is hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I said they were close, but yes, there are weak spots even in Verizon's coverage. But the time is fast approaching. My son is an OTR Driver, all 48 and Canada. He has Verizon and is almost never without coverage. Total coverage is not here yet. But it's coming.

Comment

Probably, for the most part, but economics still controls all things. Unless forced to by the federal government I doubt if expensive cell towers will be put in the Nebraska sandhills, or SD deserts, where the population is less than 1 person per square mile.

But, I live in the big city and I generally travel only on roads where celltowers abound! Also, my computer needs are gradually dwindling to emailing, browsing, shopping and bill paying on line, and this forum. I am seriously considering making a 4G Droid X my go to internet box next spring.

Comment

Satellites may be the answer.

Comment

Satellites may be the answer.
                        Don't think so.
                        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...052505321.html

VIENNA -- Trash in space may bring commerce and communications on Earth to a halt unless policymakers and executives take steps to prevent satellite collisions with orbiting junk, according to a Pentagon report.

Potential crashes between satellites and debris -- refuse from old rockets, abandoned satellites and missile shrapnel -- are threatening the $250 billion space-services market providing financial communication, global-positioning navigation, international phone connections, Google Earth pictures, television signals and weather forecasts, the report says.

Space is "increasingly congested and contested," said the Defense Department's interim U.S. Space Posture Review, which was sent to Congress in March and not publicly released.

Scientists are warning that space collisions could set off an uncontrolled chain reaction that might make some orbits unusable for commercial or military satellites because they are too littered with debris. The February 2009 crash between a defunct Russian Cosmos satellite and an Iridium Communications Inc. satellite left 1,500 pieces of junk, each whizzing around the earth at 4.8 miles a second and each capable of destroying more satellites.
                        it's only going to get worse up there. I suspect that in a few years all MANNED orbital flights will be too risky to do and most satellites will be too expensive to expose to such an environment, so they will have to get very cheap and very small, limiting their ability to do anything.

With the present world wide economic depression no nation has the spare cash to clean up space.

Comment

Anybody here seen WALL-E? Did you see the satellite orbits pictured there? Maybe we're heading in that direction?

Comment

I've looked around and noted that at this point only the US edition seems to be available.

Is there any merit in Brits like me getting the new version at this stage do you think? Also, for those who have done it, if I were to remove OOo and install LOo, would it pick up my OOo customisations (autotext etc- basically the stuff in my OOo user file) or is there an element of faffing about? I don't mind if there is, so long as I know in advance

Thanks all

Comment

I'm waiting ... and I'm a Yank. There will inevitably be issues with the forked package. Unless you're in some desperate situation, I don't see the benefit of rushing to install it, before we know how many bugs and integration issues it has.

Comment

What Dibl says... (I seem to be writing that a lot, lately! I think in real life he must be a stem cell researcher and found a way to cone himself! )

None of the settings I had for OOo 3.3 were carried into LOo.
                                And, it is only out in US english so, like Dibl said, if your dialect is essential to your communications I'd stay with the OOo version until LOo gets going with everything.

I only installed it because, like wicd-client-kde, I wanted to find out what condition it is in. For me, it is an excellent replacement. The only thing I have found, so far, that doesn't do what OOo did is communicate with my PostgreSQL 8.4 database.

Comment

Working...
                                X