Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wikileaks - Documents aiming to stop FOSS in Europe - and errata too!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wikileaks - Documents aiming to stop Free and Open Source software in Europe

Originally posted by JontheEchidna
    I should note that he himself is not actually stealing the leaked information; he relies on anonymous leakers to do that. Leaked information on a country is dependent on people to leak this information.
    good point! and we really should be cautious about the massive effort to make the story about Assange. We get so very few insights into how our government works we need to stay focused at the documents what they mean. Come on media!

were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. Thomas Jefferson.

FKA: tanderson

Comment

Re: Wikileaks - Documents aiming to stop Free and Open Source software in Europe

OK, Wikileaks is back for good or evil... I'd just never donate to them or their cause.
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by JontheEchidna
        Originally posted by dibl
        I'm not crying for Assange. He's very particular about which nations' secrets he steals and publicizes. If he were the public-spirited world citizen he purports to be, we'd be seeing secret foreign service messages from China, India, Cuba, Russia, and Venezuela. Ain't gonna happen, is it?
        I should note that he himself is not actually stealing the leaked information; he relies on anonymous leakers to do that. Leaked information on a country is dependent on people to leak this information.
        Indeed, he takes what he gets. Also, "secret service messages from China, India, Cuba, Russia, and Venezuela" are not nearly as popular with the North American, nor European, news media.

Comment

Thank you for putting the record straight, Ole Juul. I couldn't check 'cos the server went down. Now it is up again, but I cannot download all the cables

Anyway, Robert Fisk, a highly experienced and respected journalist with decades of experience in the Middle East, has his own take of the whole cable lark: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...t-2146971.html
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
            Thank you for putting the record straight, Ole Juul. I couldn't check 'cos the server went down. Now it is up again, but I cannot download all the cables
            OK, ignore the fact that I also told you the server was up again... > (I guess I should get used to being ignored on a daily basis, life is weird anyway.)
            What worries me is the fact that the US is collecting information about other nations internal affairs or politics and classified some of that info as top secret even if we're talking about small nations like Costa Rica. According to WikiLeaks and the Guardian (from GB) there are 10 documents considered as secret or top secret that are related to Costa Rica. I wonder how many (top) secret documents they have concerning other nations like Germany, France, Iran, Russia and now especially China.

Something doesn't fit here, according to some reporter WikiLeaks is an Australian (not Swedish) organization.
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
              OK, ignore the fact that I also told you the server was up again... >
              No, you were right, it is just the link to downloading the entire lot that is down

And Assange himself is Australian, not the organisation as such.

Anyway, with more and more of these reports being leaked via the press I can only reiterate that they make great reading. Why oh why cannot the rest of the world be so adult (or brave or stupid) and make public their internal communication?

Oh, forgot, mustn't have honesty in this business... How silly of me.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                I just posted this in our other thread on the subject.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-200...s-DigitalMedia
                Denial of service?

I'm surprised he hasn't met up with an "unfortunate" accident by now, or a heart attack, or photos of him and some bimbo ... wait, that's already happened...
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides
                  I wonder how many (top) secret documents they have concerning other nations like Germany, France, Iran, Russia and now especially China.
                  Assange may be anti-American or anti-capitalist, but he is not stupid. He knows that if he publishes Iranian, Russian, or Chinese secrets his existence on this planet would be shortly ending. What amazes me is that, considering how anti-Democratic OUR leaders have been behaving for the last decade, he is still alive or not rotting away in some dungeon in a backwater country.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I wonder if he considered the fact that he is going to live the rest of his probably short life looking over his shoulder.

Comment

I think woodsmoke has it down to a tee - anti American, anti capitalist or anti-god-knows-what, some stupid twat is always going to think that he _caused_ all the trouble.

So please remember, this is an open source forum. The bloke who did this did it for one reason only and that is that information is available to all and sundry. Information is not filtered according to nations or political affinity - to think so is to close your mind.

I for one cannot argue with that, even though he is Australian

And on a different note and totally unrelated: the Ashes are coming home!

Comment

Why talk about Assange? What on earth does he have to do with these documents? I think nothing.

Comment

Comment

Perhaps it's because there's an unexplainable urge for some people or governments to kill the messenger for no good reason.
                            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Well, the freedom fighter of the far right, the one and only Sarah Palin, has started a witch hunt using her facebook page and called him anti-American amongst other things.

Does she not also insist on calling Barack Obama by his middle name Hussein? She is quite something, is your Louise...

Comment

Originally posted by toad

And on a different note and totally unrelated: the Ashes are coming home!
                                Nope!

Comment

Working...
                                X