X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandriva FORKED!

http://www.mageia.org/
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Mandriva FORKED!

Interesting. I've never tried Mandriva, but that they have also 'split' from their supporter, means two 'high profile' Linux distros have split/forked this month.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Mandrake was my first linux distro when I switched after IBM stopped supporting OS/2 Warp and the first one that installed on my old HP laptop and "just worked".

In those days - I even paid for it!

However - four vowels in a six letter name? How many syllables is that

Please Read Me

Comment

The New Testament Greek Lexicon - mageia Interesting name choice for the new distro!
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          Mandrake was my first linux distro when I switched after IBM stopped supporting OS/2 Warp and the first one that installed on my old HP laptop and "just worked".

In those days - I even paid for it!
          SuSE was my first KDE based desktop, and I purchased 22 BOXED sets of it before Novell peed on it. Then I tried several others and moved to Mandrake, (Mandriva before the lawsuit forced a name change) and bought several of their downloadable paid versions, even after they became Mandriva. Then they had financial troubles and their quality went down hill, with the infamous optical drive burnout, which sent me looking for a less dangerous distro. After several minor releases I stayed with PCLOS for a couple years, but when Texstar was blown out of Huston by the hurricane. It went down hill and I moved back to Mandriva, which I also paid for to support it. I switched to Kubuntu on a lark when the Jaunty alpha gave this Sony 1600x900 + 3D, which Mandriva couldn't do.

Since moving to Kubuntu it has gotten better and better. Right now, Kubuntu 10.4 running KDE 4.5.1 is the BEST desktop I have ever used, since 1978, on any OS.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            The New Testament Greek Lexicon - mageia Interesting name choice for the new distro!
            Magic arts or sorcery? That's their idea of how you can get a working new distro?
            Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
            Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
            X