This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aptosid was sidux

All I can say is wow another name change to keep up with.
    http://aptosid.com

Wonder how many people are confused now?

Re: aptosid was sidux

Not a name I would have suggested or voted for.

sidux had a falling out and it has been declared 'dead' and aptosid christened in its place. See Important News: sidux is dead, long live aptosid
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Not a name I would have suggested or voted for.
      I'm still trying to figure out how they came up with that name. Is there a meaning to it. Apt-2-sid, Apt-o-sid, Like Apple-sid. Is that a crab+debian?

One time I was using sidux but found way too much tension on there forms. Not at all inviting.
      Boot Info Script

Comment

From their manual:

aptosid is made up of 2 words, Firstly apto which is a Latin word which means to fit, adapt, adjust, make ready, or fit. The second word is sid and is the codename of Debian's unstable branch.
        Sounds likes a medical condition to me...

..."Sorry I couldn't make it last night, I had a bad case of aptosid."

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          They make a cream for that you know.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, they released their first version of aptosid named "Κῆρες" (keres) yesterday.
            Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
            Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I wouldn't have picked that name -- I suggested "cydyx" but too late.

However, I changed the repos, ran dist-upgrade, and got converted and the new kernel with zero issues. So, "a rose by any other name ....."

Comment

...is still broke(n)?

I'd need to wait till I download the new keres version, I'd always have "bad luck" with distro updates lately.
                Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Can you get it over the counter?

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                  You're thinking of sleep apnoea. hehe Anyway, you're right. The mind boggles, and one can certainly imagine getting a prescription for aptosid.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    I wouldn't have picked that name -- I suggested "cydyx" but too late.

However, I changed the repos, ran dist-upgrade, and got converted and the new kernel with zero issues. So, "a rose by any other name ....."
                    Thanks for some hard info stuff. I enjoy the snide comments as well, but this has some "bite".
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides

I'd need to wait till I download the new keres version, I'd always have "bad luck" with distro updates lately.
                      Seriously, if you have a working sidux installation like I did, it is mindlessly simple to change it. Comment out the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sidux.list repo, and add the aptosid repo instead. Run apt-get dist-upgrade, and voila, you are converted.

Comment

Normally I get weird errors while upgrading, sometimes I even make some components unusable due to some incompatibility.
                        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

All in all, this whole episode is trivial.

The most salient fact is that the development team is intact and the second point is that the sources are under the GPL, so the "board" (or whom ever) may "own" only the TM. The treasurer just can't keep the money, that's embezzlement, the "board" doesn't own the money, so sooner or later the treasurer will have to account for it.

IF anything it points up the beauty of the GPL to keep the code free from expropriation by the greedy, malevolent, or proprietary minded.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            All in all, this whole episode is trivial.

The most salient fact is that the development team is intact and the second point is that the sources are under the GPL, so the "board" (or whom ever) may "own" only the TM. The treasurer just can't keep the money, that's embezzlement, the "board" doesn't own the money, so sooner or later the treasurer will have to account for it.

IF anything it points up the beauty of the GPL to keep the code free from expropriation by the greedy, malevolent, or proprietary minded.
                            Hear hear!! +1

I wonder what non-english speakers think of the name. it still has that clinical sound to it.

I should not make fun of the name, the distro that brought me to Linux full-time was originally called Redmondlinux

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                              .... the distro that brought me to Linux full-time was originally called Redmondlinux
                              That's "almost" an oxymoron!
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X