This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixed reviews on Kubuntu 10.04 LL

I got the urge to try out Linux again after a few years. So I downloaded the Netbook Remix edition and tried the live cd. It seemed OK so I installed it. First I couldn't get on the internet. lshw said my network was disabled. The first time I could detect my wireless router but after that, no joy. I played around with it for a while and then decided to do a reinstall.

I lost Windows. It was still there on the disk and Dolphin could get at all the files but it wouldn't boot. I tried all the fixes I could find on here. At one point it was so bad I actually got to the grub command line. I was eventually able to get to the restore image on another partition and reinstall Windows. But then I got an error saying that a disk read error occurred.

That wasn't the end of my troubles with the netbook remix though. I would install programs and they wouldn't show up on the desktop until after I rebooted. I posted my problem and got some answers but nothing worked for me.

I finally said bag it and downloaded the desktop version of 10.04 to see how it would run on my machine. It seemed fine so I did a clean install, keeping only the restore image partition. This version works great. Every program I install shows up in the menus. My internet works great. Every problem I had with the netbook remix has disappeared.

My netbook (an Asus EEE PC 1005HAB) came with Windows XP Home preinstalled on it. So I'm guessing that any netbook that can run Windows should really use the desktop version of Kubuntu. It runs better, it doesn't hold your hand like the netbook remix version does, and it gives you all the tools you need.

So my bottom line is: netbook remix no, desktop version HECK YEAH!
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Working...
X