Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why does amarok take away good things one by one?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why does amarok take away good things one by one?

i started using kubuntu since karmic. then, amarok was really nice player.
    it used to scan the folders precisely and list it properly in the left pane. i.e. the music library.
    then in (i think it was 2.2), the scanning was filthy. it started missing the listing of many of albums in hdd.
    but in that version, while playing with amarok i learned cool feature to fetch the album art from net.
    i could even specify whether i want to fetch it from google, yahoo etc. the results used to be displayed and i had freedom to choose whichever i want.
    but alas, that cool feature is no more in 2.3. it just displays single album art. i dont have liberty to choose the search engine..
    for me amarok now is just another really nice player..
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Re: why does amarok take away good things one by one?

In proprietary software users vote by not buying or renewing.

In FOSS software users vote by not installing or updating.

Both vote with the postings, but they can be astroturfed, so the first two ballot boxes apply.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

im not sure about 2.3.0 but amarok 2.3.1 has that and its been improved. it is now faster and shows the possible covers as thumbnails. still found under album -> fetch cover
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I've all but given up on using Amarok. Won't play audio CDs, and that's what I have and would want to use it for. Is version 2.3.1 included in the KDE 4.5.1 release of package updates/upgrades?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
          im not sure about 2.3.0 but amarok 2.3.1 has that and its been improved. it is now faster and shows the possible covers as thumbnails. still found under album -> fetch cover
          thats nice will update the version then..thanks for telling.
          asus A52N
          Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
          AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
          windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Has anybody not been able to open amarok since updating KDE to 4.5.1? Everytime I try to open it just crashes.

Comment

Yesterday, I installed another LL 10.04 onto my internal HD (two new partitions - root and /home) for testing of the KDE 4.4.5 to 4.5.1 upgrade. That went well, and is in another thread.

Your question piqued my curiosity about Amarok again. I'd essentially written it off since the upgrade from 1.4 to the version 2 series.

I'm in my testing LL 10.04 now. Fired up Amarok. Inserted a music CD. Clicked on Local Music and the CD was show, with all the tracks listed. I copied the CD to the Playlist and Amarok began playing the first track. Wow. I'm impressed.

However, it does not start playing subsequent tracks automatically. In fact, when the first track was finished, the third track (in the playlist) got highlighted, not the second track. Found no controls for random play, repeat, etc.

Clearing the Playlist and then ejecting the CD via the eject button on the CD in Amarok, and Quiting Amarok, and then repeating the process by launching Amarok and inserting a music CD DID NOT result in the CD being identified/displayed when clicking on Local Music.

Amarok, as far as I'm concerned, and as installed on my PC, is still not functional. How can the developers still not have something so basic as the identification, loading, and playing of music CDs not fully functional after so much time with the 2 series? Sad, very, very sad indeed.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X